1. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    11 May '12 11:13
    Duncan Suttles is one of only a handful of players to hold GM titles at both forms of the game, OTB and CC. He was awarded his OTB GM title in 1972 and his CC GM title in 1982 after winning the Heilimo Memorial, played from 1978–1981 (pre computers so there is no suggestion of silicon being used). I decided, because i'm a geek, to analyse his games from that tournament using Houdini to see what his matchups would be. 10 games from that tournament fit the criteria -

Houdini 1.5a 32bit - 15ply

{ Top 1 Match: 160/274 ( 58.4% )
    { Top 2 Match: 205/274 ( 74.8% )
    { Top 3 Match: 233/274 ( 85.0% )
    { Top 4 Match: 251/274 ( 91.6% )

and his opponents

{ Top 1 Match: 152/273 ( 55.7% )
    { Top 2 Match: 198/273 ( 72.5% )
    { Top 3 Match: 227/273 ( 83.1% )
    { Top 4 Match: 240/273 ( 87.9% )

He falls bang on the limits with his precentages, which is what you'd expect from a GM playing 20 or so games over a 3 year period.
  2. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    11 May '12 22:49
    Seeing Duncan Suttles's name in a thread title made my day! I love his games, and I love his getting a "shout out". Thanks for this!
  3. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    12 May '12 00:002 edits
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    Duncan Suttles is one of only a handful of players to hold GM titles at both forms of the game, OTB and CC. He was awarded his OTB GM title in 1972 and his CC GM title in 1982 after winning the Heilimo Memorial, played from 1978–1981 (pre computers so there is no suggestion of silicon being used). I decided, because i'm a geek, to analyse his games from ...[text shortened]... precentages, which is what you'd expect from a GM playing 20 or so games over a 3 year period.
    Suttles (playing black) beating Larsen in an interzonal tournament:

4. Joined
    16 Feb '07
    Moves
    12 May '12 00:21
    Duncan Suttles is one of only a handful of players to hold GM titles at both forms of the game, OTB and CC. He was awarded his OTB GM title in 1972 and his CC GM title in 1982 after winning the Heilimo Memorial, played from 1978–1981 (pre computers so there is no suggestion of silicon being used)..
    Just to be clear - the Heilimo Memorial is a correspondence tournament?
  5. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    12 May '12 02:14
    Originally posted by Erekose
    Yes sir
  6. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    12 May '12 09:14
    Originally posted by Paul Leggett
    Seeing Duncan Suttles's name in a thread title made my day! I love his games, and I love his getting a "shout out". Thanks for this!
    I'm glad i could make your day Paul. 🙂
  7. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    12 May '12 09:14
    Originally posted by Erekose
    As Chess Praxis said, it was a correspondence tournament. I should have made that clearer.
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '07
    Moves
    12 May '12 12:301 edit
    As Chess Praxis said, it was a correspondence tournament. I should have made that clearer.
    I thought it was. Most of the comparisons that have been published here over the years have been with OTB players. There have been a few correspondence tournaments run through their matchups and published at RHP somewhere, but not too many. I do think its better to compare the 60's and 70's correspondance players when obtaining a baseline, just as you are doing here.
  9. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    19 May '12 13:13
    Duncan Suttles is one of only a handful of players to hold GM titles at both forms of the game, OTB and CC. He was awarded his OTB GM title in 1972 and his CC GM title in 1982 after winning the Heilimo Memorial, played from 1978–1981 (pre computers so there is no suggestion of silicon being used). I decided, because i'm a geek, to analyse his games from ...[text shortened]... precentages, which is what you'd expect from a GM playing 20 or so games over a 3 year period.
    ...but he didn't have sticky notes or access to the RHP Magic Analysis Board.
  10. Standard memberthaughbaer
    Duckfinder General
    223b Baker Street
    Moves
    19 May '12 13:38
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    ...but he didn't have sticky notes or access to the RHP Magic Analysis Board.
    According to wikipedia sticky notes were invented in 1974. This seems to be a time when Suttles was at the height of his powers so indeed they could have played a large part. It was also around this time that the personal computer was starting to emerge so in fact Suttles may have been the first person to employ a sticky note on his monitor. I'm not sure who the second was.. the name escapes me.
  11. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    20 May '12 12:42
    Originally posted by thaughbaer
    According to wikipedia sticky notes were invented in 1974. This seems to be a time when Suttles was at the height of his powers so indeed they could have played a large part. It was also around this time that the personal computer was starting to emerge so in fact Suttles may have been the first person to employ a sticky note on his monitor. I'm not sure who the second was.. the name escapes me.
    Vishy Anand, of course. He's currently using it, evilly, to avoid being beaten by future world champion Gelfand.

Or so one could think if one were to believe everything written in that other thread.

Richard
  12. Standard memberThabtos
    I am become Death
    Moves
    21 May '12 04:59
    Originally posted by thaughbaer
    You win at the internet.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree