1. Joined
    23 Jul '05
    Moves
    14 Feb '07 21:24
    I need to improve my endgame.
    I've heard this is one of the best books out there for it.

What type of notation does this use? Descriptive/algebraic?
    Where can I get it?
  2. Standard memberRedmike
    Godless Commie
    Glasgow
    Moves
    14 Feb '07 21:28
    Originally posted by Bad wolf

Where can I get it?
    Algebraic.

I cannot recomend this book strongly enough.

Excellent, with the key ideas put across thoroughly, with follow-up material to back it up.

Don't know about the accompanying CD, but the book is great.
  3. Joined
    28 Sep '05
    Moves
    14 Feb '07 21:28
    I have the software version so can't comment on the book I'm afraid. Highly recommend the cd, though, as it makes playing through the examples a lot simpler, also you can just turn on the Fritz (whatever) engine and play the endgames out to test yourself.
  4. Standard memberrotk
    Orc slayer
    Gondor
    Moves
    14 Feb '07 21:33
    It's in algrebaic notation. I advise you to get the second edition too, the book is fairly new, came out in 2003 I think, so you should be able to get it almost anywhere, I start with amazon.com

Looking at your profile I'd say you should be able to understand it, although I will warn you that it's a big book and isn't for the light hearted.

P.S. looking at your profile I couldn't help but notice about golbal warming, I wish it would get warmer here, it around -15 F with wind shields of -33 F and I'm about 400 miles south of canada!
  5. Joined
    23 Jul '05
    Moves
    14 Feb '07 21:34
    Originally posted by Redmike
    Algebraic.

I cannot recomend this book strongly enough.

Excellent, with the key ideas put across thoroughly, with follow-up material to back it up.

Algebraic - Excellent! I was worrying it was going to be descriptive, and I really don't like that.

- Where is the best place to get it then?
  6. Joined
    28 Sep '05
    Moves
    14 Feb '07 21:362 edits
    I got mine at the chess and bridge shop on/near Baker Street in London.

They have a website but for some reason my work firewall blocks it! Google should come to your rescue.
  7. Joined
    23 Jul '05
    Moves
    14 Feb '07 21:40
    Originally posted by rotk
    It's in algrebaic notation. I advise you to get the second edition too, the book is fairly new, came out in 2003 I think, so you should be able to get it almost anywhere, I start with amazon.com

Looking at your profile I'd say you should be able to understand it, although I will warn you that it's a big book and isn't for the light hearted.

P.S. looking a ...[text shortened]... here, it around -15 F with wind shields of -33 F and I'm about 400 miles south of canada!

- Cool, I'll do that.

- Well, I'm sure I can handle it.

P.S. looking at your profile I couldn't help but notice about golbal warming, I wish it would get warmer here, it around -15 F with wind shields of -33 F and I'm about 400 miles south of canada!
    - We are still in winter...its the summer that you should start getting worried about.
  8. Joined
    23 Jul '05
    Moves
    03 Apr '07 13:331 edit
    I haven't gotten it yet...but I have found a few site to get it from...
    hopefully I'll get for my birthday (14th April)

This sites appears to be really inexpensive (especially considering the current exchange rate), but I don't think it will ship to the UK...
    http://tinyurl.com/2ojgup

This site is based in London so shipment shouldn't be a problem.
    http://tinyurl.com/2ub5lf

And while we're at it, eBay:
    http://tinyurl.com/2sum2x

Which site would be best. 🙂😕
  9. Big D
    Moves
    03 Apr '07 13:47
    I bought the book a couple of months ago and highly recommend it for the advanced player, but for those under 1700, it will be too complex. Try instead Averbakh's "Chess Endinging: Essential Knowledge," or Euwe's "A Guide to Chess Endings."
  10. Joined
    23 Jul '05
    Moves
    03 Apr '07 13:59
    Originally posted by der schwarze Ritter
    I bought the book a couple of months ago and highly recommend it for the advanced player, but for those under 1700, it will be too complex. Try instead Averbakh's "Chess Endinging: Essential Knowledge," or Euwe's "A Guide to Chess Endings."
    Luckily I'm rated at 1724 currently, though my rating is getting stagnant for the moment...

I assume you got the 2nd edition?
  11. Standard memberHomerJSimpson
    Renouned Grob Killer
    Moves
    03 Apr '07 14:04
    Originally posted by der schwarze Ritter
    I think you have to be significantly over 1800 it assumes you know alot.
  12. Joined
    23 Jul '05
    Moves
    03 Apr '07 14:16
    Originally posted by HomerJSimpson
    I think you have to be significantly over 1800 it assumes you know alot.
    Perhaps for the whole book, but for much of it I would hope someone like myself would understand it.
  13. Joined
    11 Sep '06
    Moves
    03 Apr '07 14:40
    I'd highly recommend both Dvoretsky's book and Jeremy Silman's "Complete Endgame Course." Both are great resources.
  14. Joined
    20 Mar '07
    Moves
    03 Apr '07 19:028 edits
    Originally posted by Bad wolf

Where can I get it?
    I'd suggest getting these books first:

Basic Chess Endings revised edition by Reuben Fine

Silman's Complete Endgame Course: From Beginner To Master by Jeremy Silman

Pandolfini's Endgame Course By Bruce Pandolfini

The Fine book alone has enough reading/study material for a Player for at least 1-2 years.
  15. Joined
    23 Jul '05
    Moves
    03 Apr '07 19:22
    Originally posted by Aristolle
    I'd suggest getting these books first:

Basic Chess Endings revised edition by Reuben Fine

Silman's Complete Endgame Course: From Beginner To Master by Jeremy Silman

Pandolfini's Endgame Course By Bruce Pandolfini

The Fine book alone has enough reading/study material for a Player for at least 1-2 years.
    I've made my choice...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree