1. Joined
    18 Feb '07
    Moves
    03 Apr '07 19:26
    The book is insane (Dvoretsky's Manual). I have the first edition, and got through most of the section on pawn endings. It's challenging, but you can do it if you focus. Trust me, you will learn a lot.
  2. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    03 Apr '07 19:28
    Originally posted by Zander 88
    The book is insane (Dvoretsky's Manual). I have the first edition, and got through most of the section on pawn endings. It's challenging, but you can do it if you focus. Trust me, you will learn a lot.
    I agree. It is very tough, and I have currently set it down in favour of doing more tactics. I do reference various sections when I see clear simplifications in some of my more serious games however.
  3. USA
    Moves
    04 Apr '07 02:021 edit
    I haven't seen that Dvoretsky's, but the good ones I have seen are Silman's Endgame Course and Just the Facts!
  4. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    04 Apr '07 13:23
    Originally posted by Redmike
    Algebraic.

I cannot recomend this book strongly enough.

Excellent, with the key ideas put across thoroughly, with follow-up material to back it up.

Don't know about the accompanying CD, but the book is great.
    CD is exactly the same but you don't need a board. I recommend that you get the CD, it takes out the lazy factor of setting up the pieces...😉
  5. Standard memberHomerJSimpson
    Renouned Grob Killer
    Moves
    04 Apr '07 15:03
    Originally posted by OrangeKing
    I'd highly recommend both Dvoretsky's book and Jeremy Silman's "Complete Endgame Course." Both are great resources.
    I like the silman book myself
  6. Joined
    23 Jul '05
    Moves
    05 Apr '07 12:211 edit
    I've got the book! 🙂
    (Dvoretsky's endgame manual btw...)
  7. Big D
    Moves
    06 Apr '07 13:52
    Originally posted by Marinkatomb
    CD is exactly the same but you don't need a board. I recommend that you get the CD, it takes out the lazy factor of setting up the pieces...😉
    That's a very good point. You can accomplish more in less time.
  8. Standard memberrotk
    Orc slayer
    Gondor
    Moves
    07 Apr '07 03:35
    I just use the ChessDB database board, much quicker, and you don't have to remember the position before the sub variation.
  9. Standard memberbot 6
    Bla bla bla
    Moves
    08 Apr '07 00:48
    why dosent this site have the (3 move repeat= stale mate) option? isnt that an official rule?
  10. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    08 Apr '07 00:53
    Originally posted by bot 6
    why dosent this site have the (3 move repeat= stale mate) option? isnt that an official rule?
    You have to claim it. Normally this might be a disadvantage, but since this is a correspondence site, it's not that big of a deal. You have plenty of time to check for 3 position repetitions.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    09 Apr '07 01:18
    Originally posted by Mad Rook
    You have to claim it. Normally this might be a disadvantage, but since this is a correspondence site, it's not that big of a deal. You have plenty of time to check for 3 position repetitions.
    in a tournament OTB, what happens if you claim a 3 move draw?
    does the time come off your clock while the TD verify's?
    if time runs out while he's checking, and you were wrong, do you lose?
    what are the exact rules for that scenario?
  12. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    09 Apr '07 13:15
    Originally posted by rubberjaw30
    in a tournament OTB, what happens if you claim a 3 move draw?
    does the time come off your clock while the TD verify's?
    if time runs out while he's checking, and you were wrong, do you lose?
    what are the exact rules for that scenario?
    Since you're in the U.S., the USCF rule book (5th edition) applies for OTB play. Rule 14C (Triple occurence of position) applies, which includes subrules 14C1 through 14C9.

But, in short, if the TD is not at your board, you're allowed to stop both clocks when making the claim.

Subrule 14C6 states, "If the claim is found to be incorrect, two minutes shall be added to the opponent's remaining unused time."

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree