1. Standard memberKorch
    Chess Warrior
    Riga
    Moves
    04 Feb '07 11:03
    Originally posted by Diet Coke
    Better, the e4 pawn break would have more impact than any c4.
    Its question of taste. Pawn on e4 will mean that you are gonna attack in kingside and center, but on c4 - that you are gonna advance in queenside.
  2. back in business
    Moves
    04 Feb '07 11:56
    1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Nc3 Nf6 4.g3
  3. Joined
    09 Dec '06
    Moves
    04 Feb '07 20:05
    Originally posted by mrjonesvich321
    e4 is probably the most common opening move, I guess, and then after that I always play Nf3, but I don't really know what to play after that. I used to try d4, and then an echange of knights (assuming they played Nc6) leaves my queen in the center, which is bad. I think this is called the Scottish Game, or something. Anyways I decided I really hate ...[text shortened]... that involve 1. e4, or just advice in general, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks,
    Kurt
    I would ask what level of play do you want to reach?

Personally I abandoned e4 as i wanted to beat good players and I found that as I came to the game late, I was always at a disadvantage. I learnt all the e4,e5 games and then as I moved up in standard, they became rarer. I gave up as their was too many sicilians that i lost to book sacrifices. I was never very happy against caro kans or the french. It always seemed that black could chose the style of play. Petroff's defence was the final straw.

The scotch with your queen out is not so bad as the queen on d4 will be diagonally opposite the remaining black knight on f6. The key advantage you have is that you can stop the black d pawn from advancing and that hinders black development. Play some games as black in that position and you might realise its better than you thought.
  4. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    04 Feb '07 20:171 edit
    Originally posted by petrosianpupil
    I would ask what level of play do you want to reach?

Personally I abandoned e4 as i wanted to beat good players and I found that as I came to the game late, I was always at a disadvantage. I learnt all the e4,e5 games and then as I moved up in standard, they became rarer. I gave up as their was too many sicilians that i lost to book sacrifices. I w t. Play some games as black in that position and you might realise its better than you thought.
    Hrm, sacrifices that cost you the game in the Sicilian? Maybe Najdorf and Dragon lines, but aside from that I don't feel like there's really too much to worry about (Maybe Classical Velimorovic too). Personally I've never had a problem with facing the Sicilian, that might be because I fight the Najdorf with 6.Rg1 which 99% of Najdorf players aren't ready for, and I'm a Dragon player myself.

However, I won't deny that 1.d4 isn't as positional as a lot of amateurs claim, it can actually get pretty wild and fun.
  5. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    04 Feb '07 20:222 edits

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

6. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    04 Feb '07 20:31
    Very entertaining game. I wish more people played that against me. 😉 Sicilian games are almost always fun to play.
  7. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    04 Feb '07 20:33
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Very nice game, but you've never found 6.Rg1 to be frightening!? You're a liar! 😛

6.Bc4 and 6.Bg5 offer lots of wild tactical possibilities, which is why I avoid those lines - the Poisoned Pawn variation is especially insane.
  8. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    04 Feb '07 20:35

9. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    04 Feb '07 20:371 edit

10. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    04 Feb '07 20:37
    I haven't found it, but I'm going to check harder in a minute here.

BTW: I think that the English Attack is easily whites best try against the Najdorf, and I think it's quite good for CC: Game 2684457
  11. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    04 Feb '07 20:421 edit

12. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    04 Feb '07 20:461 edit
    😕 Hm. Ok, I'll look for pins.

What about 15...fxe5 as a thought though, what am I missing for white after that?

Oh wait, Re1 maybe?

BTW:The English Attack is currently whites most popular against the Najdorf at GM level, scores appx. 53% for white.
  13. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    04 Feb '07 20:47
    Where did your book moves end?
  14. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    04 Feb '07 20:53
    Originally posted by cmsMaster
    😕 Hm. Ok, I'll look for pins.

What about 15...fxe5 as a thought though, what am I missing for white after that?

Oh wait, Re1 maybe?

BTW:The English Attack is currently whites most popular against the Najdorf at GM level, scores appx. 53% for white.
    Ok, I give up. 🙁
  15. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    04 Feb '07 20:531 edit

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree