1. Joined
    10 Apr '14
    Moves
    02 Apr '15 11:321 edit
    Does anybody know a good source for ebooks on the Dutch, Sicilian and King's gambit that will work well when imported into chess position trainer?
  2. Joined
    14 May '14
    Moves
    02 Apr '15 22:41
    I've used CPT and Chess Opening Wizard for several years and have developed my game through several source data bases, e-books, paper books, games etc. You can down a pgn file and import the moves of what ever opening you are interested in. But, Id recommend not going that route for a couple reasons.
    First, you will get girth of moves that are just not what you want to learn.
    Second, CPT is designed to help you LEARN the positions through training and part of that training is entering the moves you want and are comfortable with.
    As an example: I downloaded everything I could find on the Colle and found the information was not very useful. So, I started from scratch and picked two sources and the lines I was comfortable with, learned those and expanded as needed and as my chess knowledge grew. This takes longer but has the advantage of growing with you. Best Tim
  3. Joined
    10 Apr '14
    Moves
    02 Apr '15 23:37
    I understand where you are coming from but I am not interested in comfort. It is my firm belief that, in all walks of life, comfort leads to stagnation. If you aren't pushing past your comfort zones then you aren't expanding your skill and knowledge.
  4. Joined
    14 May '14
    Moves
    03 Apr '15 01:00
    If I gave you 500 chess opening books and put them on your doorstep where would you start?
  5. Joined
    10 Apr '14
    Moves
    03 Apr '15 01:101 edit
    Originally posted by Rookpawn59
    If I gave you 500 chess opening books and put them on your doorstep where would you start?
    I would begin with a bonfire. I don't want 500 opening books on my doorstep, I want a few on my computer.

Edit: I appreciate your concern but I am not interested in a philosophical debate. If you have an answer for my OP then please let me know.
  6. Subscriber64squaresofpain
    The drunk knight
    Stuck on g1
    Moves
    03 Apr '15 01:11
    ebay? 😕
  7. Joined
    10 Apr '14
    Moves
    03 Apr '15 01:14
    Also, CPT allows you to prune any imported pgn to any amount of moves so there is no concern about adding too many positions.
  8. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    03 Apr '15 02:01
    I've used CPT and Chess Opening Wizard for several years and have developed my game through several source data bases, e-books, paper books, games etc. You can down a pgn file and import the moves of what ever opening you are interested in. But, Id recommend not going that route for a couple reasons.
    First, you will get girth of moves that are just no ...[text shortened]... my chess knowledge grew. This takes longer but has the advantage of growing with you. Best Tim
    This is an excellent post (I gave the "thumbs up", but it may have some semantic issues.

I think it might help people to replace the word "comfortable with" by using the words "that are in line with the positions I prefer to play" or "want to focus on learning" or "that suit my style" or something similar.

In chess as in so many things, quality trumps quantity.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree