1. Under ur ChessBoard!
    Moves
    30 Apr '07 14:22
    I was at a tournament this weekend, and I got to sit in on a lecture from GM Alexander Stripunsky. I walked in and this position was on the demo board.

Surely this wouldn't be the topic, this had to be an easy win for white, yet we spent over 30 minutes on this position. Who is better? What is the correct plan in this position? White to move
  2. Joined
    28 Nov '06
    Moves
    30 Apr '07 14:33
    Seems like Kd3 for starters; marching to d4, when Black's King is tied to the defense of the d5 pawn. Am I in the ball park?
  3. Standard memberonyx2006
    onyx2007
    watching you...
    Moves
    30 Apr '07 14:34
    Ke3 taking the opposition, then I think white's better cos blacks got 3 pawn groups, one isolated, but the isolated one could cause trouble.... unless both kings go attend to it... with both kings tied up on d6 & d4 white wins on the kingside with his pawn majority.... I think, but too much work involved to think beyond that.
  4. Joined
    28 Nov '06
    Moves
    30 Apr '07 14:37
    Originally posted by onyx2006
    Ke3 taking the opposition, then I think white's better cos blacks got 3 pawn groups, one isolated, but the isolated one could cause trouble.... unless both kings go attend to it... with both kings tied up on d6 & d4 white wins on the kingside with his pawn majority.... I think, but too much work involved to think beyond that.
    That's what I was getting at. Ke3, and Kd3 are the same here. Pawn majority on the KS wins.
  5. Under ur ChessBoard!
    Moves
    30 Apr '07 14:40
    Originally posted by AlphaAlekhine
    That's what I was getting at. Ke3, and Kd3 are the same here. Pawn majority on the KS wins.
    Hmmm, how should white move with his pawns then?
  6. Standard memberonyx2006
    onyx2007
    watching you...
    Moves
    30 Apr '07 14:44
    well after the kings are on d4 / d6, black is to move. Then it's up to white to respond accordingly
  7. Under ur ChessBoard!
    Moves
    30 Apr '07 14:47
    Originally posted by onyx2006
    well after the kings are on d4 / d6, black is to move. Then it's up to white to respond accordingly
    black has a better idea then to put his king on d6..can you find it?
  8. Joined
    28 Nov '06
    Moves
    30 Apr '07 14:50
    Originally posted by Restless Soul
    black has a better idea then to put his king on d6..can you find it?
    King to d6, then e6, gaurding the f5 square?
  9. Under ur ChessBoard!
    Moves
    30 Apr '07 14:54
    Originally posted by AlphaAlekhine
    King to d6, then e6, gaurding the f5 square?
    look closer...see if you can figure it out...black doesn't care about the d5 pawn, black owns the f5 square, in fact, its a common square in a few variations...do you see blacks trick up his sleeve?
  10. Under ur ChessBoard!
    Moves
    30 Apr '07 15:00
    the actual game went 1.f4 h5 2.g3 Ke6 3.Kd3 Kf5...what's going on here?
  11. Joined
    07 Nov '04
    Moves
    01 May '07 12:49
    the actual game went 1.f4 h5 2.g3 Ke6 3.Kd3 Kf5...what's going on here?
    White's strategy is to create a passed pawn on the kingside to deflect the black king from the defence of his d5 pawn. Then he will eliminate black's queenside pawns with kis king. Black will certainly lose if he stays passive, so he has to counterattack on the kingside with his king. Knowing this, the moves given are completely logical. 1.f4 is played with the intention of g4 next move following the above strategy. Black correctly thwarts this with 1...h5. White plays 2.g3 with the idea of h3 and g4, again looking to create a passed pawn, so black moves with his king to prevent this.
  12. Under ur ChessBoard!
    Moves
    01 May '07 14:16
    Originally posted by Northern Lad
    White's strategy is to create a passed pawn on the kingside to deflect the black king from the defence of his d5 pawn. Then he will eliminate black's queenside pawns with kis king. Black will certainly lose if he stays passive, so he has to counterattack on the kingside with his king. Knowing this, the moves given are completely logical. 1.f4 is played ...[text shortened]... 3 and g4, again looking to create a passed pawn, so black moves with his king to prevent this.
    Believe or not, after these moves the position is a draw, do you see why?
  13. Joined
    07 Nov '04
    Moves
    01 May '07 14:56
    Believe or not, after these moves the position is a draw, do you see why?
    At this moment of writing I don't have a board available, so my analysis may be flawed, but it doesn't surprise me that the position is drawn. White will take the d5 pawn while the black king counterattacks on h2. White will then have to advance the g pawn to g5, but the black king gets back in time to hold.
  14. Joined
    04 Jul '06
    Moves
    02 May '07 08:11
    my strategy will be:
    1) advance white king in the center (to put a threat on the black isolated pawn)
    2) advance the 2 pawns in the left to 4-5 line (try not to trade any of them)
    3) advance the right pawns and create an exterior passed pawn...

now black has to go after this pawn and you will take d pawn and be first in the left to pick up opponent's pawns (that's why 2 is important)
  15. Joined
    07 Nov '04
    Moves
    02 May '07 09:32
    Originally posted by vipiu
    my strategy will be:
    1) advance white king in the center (to put a threat on the black isolated pawn)
    2) advance the 2 pawns in the left to 4-5 line (try not to trade any of them)
    3) advance the right pawns and create an exterior passed pawn...

now black has to go after this pawn and you will take d pawn and be first in the left to pick up opponent's pawns (that's why 2 is important)
    But black can thwart this plan and hold the draw relatively comfortably, as the continuation given above shows.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree