Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. 02 Dec '12 03:41
    I haven't played chess for many years. Are most ppl (and is this site) familiar with the 'en passant' rule?
  2. Standard member SwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    02 Dec '12 04:02
    Originally posted by eddean
    I haven't played chess for many years. Are most ppl (and is this site) familiar with the 'en passant' rule?
    What is this 'en passant' you speak of?
  3. 02 Dec '12 04:07
    You can always read the site FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions).

    I will assume that you are not asking for a game in progress (which would break the rule of asking advice during a game).

    There you can check the rules (castling/en passant/ tribrushing/ etc).
  4. 02 Dec '12 04:52
    you can play that move here. most players know about it
  5. Standard member RJHinds
    The Near Genius
    02 Dec '12 05:43
    Originally posted by tim88
    you can play that move here. most players know about it
    And if they don't they will quickly learn about it when you play it. 😏
  6. 02 Dec '12 06:41
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    And if they don't they will quickly learn about it when you play it. 😏
    some of them get surprised i can tell because they stop moving for five or so minutes lol. i learnt it on here from one of my opponents
  7. 02 Dec '12 14:40
    This rule is a fairly recent development being introduced about 700 years ago.
  8. Subscriber thaughbaer
    Duckfinder General
    02 Dec '12 19:32
    Initially it was a programming glitch but Russ had programmed everything in C and then lost the source code. Rather than starting again from scratch it was more cost effective to bribe high ranking officials in FIDE to adopt it as part of the rules of chess.
  9. 02 Dec '12 19:42 / 1 edit
    (In Cliff Clavin Voice)

    "Here's a little known fact. For years it's been mistakenly believed that the Hatfields and McCoys fought over a pig, Norm. Actually, the fight broke out in the middle of a chess game. Devil Anse took en passant, and it escalated from there. The Hatfields would even wear red and black checkered flannel shirts, to rub in the fact that they were right."
  10. Standard member wolfgang59
    Infidel
    03 Dec '12 04:31
    Originally posted by thaughbaer
    Initially it was a programming glitch but Russ had programmed everything in C and then lost the source code. Rather than starting again from scratch it was more cost effective to bribe high ranking officials in FIDE to adopt it as part of the rules of chess.
    Was it last year that someone told a newbie that en passant and castling were only available to subscribers? LMAO