22 Apr '07 21:45
    http://www.redhotpawn.com/help/index.php?help=enpassant
  3. London
    Moves
    22 Apr '07 23:001 edit
    Originally posted by swinny
    can someone explain in terms an idiot could understand🙄🙄
    OK I'll take some time over it and see if it's comprehensible:

A few hundred years ago the rules of chess only allowed the pawns to move one square forward on their first move.

So in those days if you had a position like this with white to move:

from here if white moved the pawn on a2 - that's the one in front of the rook on the far left - it could only go one square forward to a3 - so it could then be captured by the black pawn on b4.

When the rules were changed to allow pawns to move either one or two squares forward on the first move (an idea to get the game going faster) some people complained that it wouldn't be right if you could jump past an opponents advanced pawn and avoid capture. So they made up the rule: En Passant - which is French for: in passing

So in the above example, with todays rules, if white moves the pawn to a4 then black can still capture - as if the pawn had only moved to a3 - the captured white pawn is removed and the black pawn then occupies the a3 square - again - just as if it had captured the pawn on a3

This is only allowed if it is done straight away...i.e. white moves the pawn to a4 and on blacks next turn it is allowed to capture "en passant". If black doesn't do it immediately it's not allowed later.

So when black has a pawn on the fourth rank and white moves a pawn on an adjacent file two squares forward - then - for blacks next move only - black may capture this pawn as if it had only advanced to the third rank. The same applies with colours reversed - when white has a pawn advanced to the 5th rank etc..

Players new to chess often forget or just don't know this complicated rule - so it can be a surprise or even the cause of an argument.
  4. Joined
    29 Jun '05
    Moves
    23 Apr '07 16:58
    can someone explain in terms an idiot could understand🙄🙄
    When chess was first invented the pawn could move one square straight forward if that square was unoccupied, or could capture one square diagonally forward (these options are of course still available).
    To speed the game up in the opening, the double square first move for pawns was introduced, (I think in the 12th or 13th century), but it was felt that this should not allow a pawn using the double move to
    avoid a capture by an opposing pawn which was on it's own fifth rank. So the 'En Passant' capture was introduced some time later, (14th century?) to allow a capture as if the pawn had only moved one square, and since under the original laws it could have moved to it's fourth rank after a second move, this is why the capture is allowed only for one move. I hope this helps. I found it easy to remember this rather unusual law once I knew the reason for it.

You will find the official FIDE wording of the law in their website : -
    http://fide.com/official/handbook.asp?level=EE1: and then go to Article 3.7d.

Essex 3.
  5. Joined
    20 Jan '07
    Moves
    23 Apr '07 19:09
    Thak you for taking the time and patience i now understand😉😉😉
  6. Standard memberemanon
    Student
    Leuven
    Moves
    24 Apr '07 23:551 edit
    Thak you for taking the time and patience i now understand😉😉😉
    Is it me or does the term 'Thak you' seem to be questionable?
  7. Standard memberEric Cartman
    RespectMyAuthoritah!
    South Park
    Moves
    25 Apr '07 01:36
    I'm curious how many uscf rated chess games have been played out wrong and have gone unnoticed in tournaments.
  8. Joined
    14 Jul '06
    Moves
    25 Apr '07 01:59
    What's this "FAQ" thing mean?
    I'm just guessing, but is it Fully Automated Quantifiables?
  9. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    25 Apr '07 04:57
    FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions
  10. Joined
    14 Jul '06
    Moves
    25 Apr '07 05:01
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions
    Thankyou, my StIvel Gold loving friend.
  11. Joined
    06 Nov '06
    Moves
    25 Apr '07 09:59
    The foolish white pawn tries to run past your pawn but your pawn simply sticks his deadly sharp spear in front of the other pawn and impales him IN PASSING 🙂
  12. Standard memberemanon
    Student
    Leuven
    Moves
    25 Apr '07 10:31
    Originally posted by Furling
    The foolish white pawn tries to run past your pawn but your pawn simply sticks his deadly sharp spear in front of the other pawn and impales him IN PASSING 🙂
    ouch!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree