1. Joined
    17 Apr '10
    Moves
    03 Jan '11 19:24
    Hi all,

Recently I’ve noticed a lot of problems with my late (end) game strategy. Specifically, I don’t seem to have any. I understand basic king-rook, king-queen checkmates but have trouble in games that advance to a point with both sides having a few pawns and maybe a minor piece or two.

I was wondering if anyone could suggest a decent book (or other resource) on the subject.

Thanks for any help,

Obss.

*I’m not sure what my current level of chess is, but I play a lot of Kasparov Chessmate vs. AI which buts me at around 1250 if that helps.
  2. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    03 Jan '11 20:30
    To help I am listing some topics you should look for in an endgame book-

basic rook endgames -
    bishop vs knight
    2 bishops
    pawn endgames
    opposition/triangulation.

I have heard a lot of people love Silman's endgame book, but really almost any book that covers these topics would be of use to you.
  3. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    03 Jan '11 23:22
    Originally posted by Obss
    Hi all,

Recently I’ve noticed a lot of problems with my late (end) game strategy. Specifically, I don’t seem to have any. I understand basic king-rook, king-queen checkmates but have trouble in games that advance to a point with both sides having a few pawns and maybe a minor piece or two.

I was wondering if anyone could suggest a decent book (or other ...[text shortened]... ss is, but I play a lot of Kasparov Chessmate vs. AI which buts me at around 1250 if that helps.
    Try this site

http://www.chessvideos.tv/endgame-training/endgame-simulations.php
  4. Joined
    17 Mar '08
    Moves
    04 Jan '11 00:02
    Maybe at your level a book spefically on endgames isn't necessary, i would advise a more complete book, but with a lot of basic endgames in it.

There are many, but the first that comes to my mind is chess fundamentals, by capablanca
    http://www.amazon.com/Chess-Fundamentals-Algebraic-Jose-Capablanca/dp/1857440730
    (this is the good edition, avoid the other one (mc kay), it's edited in a silly way)

A great book to understand the basics of strategy in chess, and with a lot of emphasis on endgames.
  5. Joined
    21 Sep '05
    Moves
    04 Jan '11 09:47
    Originally posted by Obss
    I was wondering if anyone could suggest a decent book (or other resource) on the subject.
    Good advice already posted. I'd add that you should also get into the habit of analysing your games. Analysing your games won't give you complete coverage of what you should know in advance (hence read a book too) but when you learn something from one of your own games, it may stick a lot more.

For example, I've read lots of books relating to passed pawns and I did learn something. But during a recent game, I failed to win because I under-estimated the strength of a passed pawn - this example stuck in my mind because it was a concrete example of something I initially tried and failed with. Feel free to post some of your games here for analysis.
  6. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    04 Jan '11 12:10
    The only problem with analyzing positions by yourself at 1200ish is that in say a rook and pawn vs rook you might not find the bridge ideas etc needed to effectively play the position.

While I do suggest a lot of post game analysis is critical to improvement. Maybe even a couple lessons with a stronger player on basic endgames might be the ticket.
  7. Joined
    21 Sep '05
    Moves
    04 Jan '11 13:36
    Originally posted by nimzo5
    Sure, I did emphasise a combination of both was needed. Even if post game analysis fails to find all the answers, it still complements our reading. Compare someone who has never seen a Lucena position in play versus someone who has misplayed it several times and failed to solve in post analysis. The latter case is more likely to hit home harder with "Ah!! So that's what I need to do". Relating to some concrete benefits motivates learning.
  8. e4
    Moves
    04 Jan '11 14:504 edits
    The YouTube endings I've seen are good (well Ok if you can ignore
    all the 'tutting' and the 'er...er...'😉

This is because you are not getting worthless crap like you do
    with opening DVD's where there are hundres of if's and but's
    that cannot possibly be covered.

This is 100% proof. It's technique. You can learn it within one showing.
    No if's and but's a clear way to win or draw.

It's essential knowledge and you will meet these standard postions OTB.

I have the very basic Rook + Pawn endings covered. (the most frequent
    to appear and the most often misplayed.).

White to play this is a win.

White to play this is a draw.

If you don't know why....

YouTube&feature=related
  9. Joined
    17 Apr '10
    Moves
    04 Jan '11 16:20
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I’ve decided to order a copy of Chess-Fundamentals.

Also checked out your video Greenpawn which was great, plus a couple of others from YouTube on the topics Nimzo5 listed. All of it was new to me, so very worth while.

Cheers again for the help all.
  10. Joined
    28 Mar '10
    Moves
    04 Jan '11 20:41
    I've tried out some software.

A chessbase product 'the ABC of endgames' which demonstrates and explains the techniques.
    Ok but bit 'dry'.They should've included exercises (if they did then I didn't find them.My bad)

A convekta product 'Chess endgame training' containing 2450 exercises.
    I like this a lot.Good partner for the chessbase one.Though an all-in-one would be better.

Instead of playing mindless blitzgames,getting drunk or satisfying my MTW addiction I've been playing endgames.It actually helps!
    Maybe look into those too.

toet.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree