1. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    06 Jun '11 17:21
    Well, I study all day every day now. It wouldn't have been this way but I attained an injury the day after last christmas that keeps me from working... all I have to keep myself occupied now is the stock market, parties and chess... not neccessarily in that order. So, I have the determination(like a chainsaw) and the time.
  2. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    06 Jun '11 21:56
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    I have an endgame book!

Buying one and reading it was one of the few pieces of good advice
    I followed when the good players were giving me advice.

I bought Practical Chess Endings by Keres when it first came out.
    (I have two copies! I bought the algebraic version as well).

It either was buying that or Fine's book on endings and that just look ...[text shortened]... nutes max they would be able to mate anyone in the world
    with K+R v K. It's technique.
    I don't believe all endings are without imagination... just take a look at some of Rubensteins's black magic in rook endings.
  3. e4
    Moves
    07 Jun '11 00:07
    I was talking about the need to know routine endings.
    These can be learned off to pat even without the player
    fully understanding the game.

The Lucena Position is essential knowledge.

4. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    07 Jun '11 00:252 edits
    I was talking about the need to know routine endings.
    These can be learned off to pat even without the player
    fully understanding the game.

The Lucena Position is essential knowledge.

[pgn]
    [FEN "6K1/4k1P1/8/8/8/8/7r/5R2 w - - 0 1"]
    1. Re1+ Kd7 2. Re4 {The key move - build the bridge.} 2... Rh1 3. Kf7 Rf1+ 4. Kg6 Rg1+ 5. Kf6 Rf1+ 6. Kg5 Rg1+ 7. ...[text shortened]... wn Queens. A method that can memorised and played with no imagination. It's technique.}[/pgn]
    Oh, I see what you mean.... I know all the most famous positions, how to mate with Q+K vs RxK, Centurini's position and some others that I learned out of Purdy: On the Endgame but that book was just a collection of articles and snippits from his Guide to Good Chess although It did give me a fair knowledge of rook and pawn endings. I'm more interested in the nitty gritty... how to get to such positions and other technique's that are more general in nature. I plan to work through the blue print of Dvoretsky's Endgame Manual Until I have it all drilled into my head as firmly as possible then I will work through the whole book together(blue and black print). I hear many saying this is tedious but neglecting the tedious work and trying to get a quick fix is the main reason why none of us are ever going to be GM's.
  5. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    07 Jun '11 13:40
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    Oh, I see what you mean.... I know all the most famous positions, how to mate with Q+K vs RxK, Centurini's position and some others that I learned out of Purdy: On the Endgame but that book was just a collection of articles and snippits from his Guide to Good Chess although It did give me a fair knowledge of rook and pawn endings. I'm more in ...[text shortened]... and trying to get a quick fix is the main reason why none of us are ever going to be GM's.
    well that's a good plan. I hope you can keep up with it.
  6. e4
    Moves
    07 Jun '11 14:04
    It's the use of the word 'tedious'.

If you find anything tedious then I don't think it will be of benefit.
    You have to love, enjoy and want to do it.

If 100% serious then a good coach is the way to go.
    Most (all) of the top players had at one time some serious face to face.
    A couple of hours with a good coach on endings will show a amazing improvement.
    Book study then tops up what you have learned.
  7. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    07 Jun '11 14:181 edit
    It's the use of the word 'tedious'.

If you find anything tedious then I don't think it will be of benefit.
    You have to love, enjoy and want to do it.

If 100% serious then a good coach is the way to go.
    Most (all) of the top players had at one time some serious face to face.
    A couple of hours with a good coach on endings will show a amazing improvement.
    Book study then tops up what you have learned.
    Ha! I've been looking for a good coach within my budget... most of them seem to think they are the best thing since canned bread and they charge through the roof. I'm just going to get good enough on my own to maybe win some money in a couple tourney's then use that money to fund a coach.

Edit: Well, I love the game. I would sacrifice some time for tedious work if it unlocks some of the mysteries for me.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree