Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. Standard member thesonofsaul
    King of the Ashes
    30 Dec '06 17:12
    Looking for a good endgame book. Any ideas?
  2. Standard member HomerJSimpson
    Renouned Grob Killer
    30 Dec '06 17:21 / 2 edits
    Yes I do! Ive been waiting months for it to come out

    http://www.amazon.com/Silmans-Complete-Endgame-Course-Beginner/dp/1890085103/sr=8-1/qid=1167499124/ref=sr_1_1/102-3062123-4881761?ie=UTF8&s=books

    Silman is the best Chess book writer there is, I loved his small segment on endgames in How to Reassess Your Chess, and have been looking forward to this one coming out for quite sometime!


    I really liked Secrets of Pawn Endings, I know now when I can trade down in an endgame situation, its out of print, I had to buy my copy at abebooks.com

    I also think buying Survival Guide to Rook Endings is a good idea
  3. Standard member thesonofsaul
    King of the Ashes
    30 Dec '06 17:40
    Originally posted by HomerJSimpson
    Yes I do! Ive been waiting months for it to come out

    http://www.amazon.com/Silmans-Complete-Endgame-Course-Beginner/dp/1890085103/sr=8-1/qid=1167499124/ref=sr_1_1/102-3062123-4881761?ie=UTF8&s=books

    Silman is the best Chess book writer there is, I loved his small segment on endgames in How to Reassess Your Chess, and have been looking forward to this one coming out for quite sometime!
    Any idea when this is supposed to come out in print?
  4. Standard member HomerJSimpson
    Renouned Grob Killer
    30 Dec '06 17:59
    January 8th
  5. Standard member rotk
    Orc slayer
    30 Dec '06 18:12
    Dvoretsky's Endgame manual, very good book, if you ever get through it your endgame knowledge will be at master level. Warning: it will take a while to get through studying all 400 pages.
  6. 30 Dec '06 18:20
    Originally posted by rotk
    Dvoretsky's Endgame manual, very good book, if you ever get through it your endgame knowledge will be at master level. Warning: it will take a while to get through studying all 400 pages.
    which is why I say, don't bother with that book

    true, it's great, but you'll never finish it
  7. Standard member HomerJSimpson
    Renouned Grob Killer
    30 Dec '06 18:22
    I own Ds manual, and its really lacking in the explaination department
  8. 02 Jan '07 19:16
    Originally posted by thesonofsaul
    Looking for a good endgame book. Any ideas?
    "Pandolfini's Endgame Course" will teach you all you need to know about the endgame to reach 1800-USCF.
  9. 02 Jan '07 21:20
    Originally posted by gaychessplayer
    "Pandolfini's Endgame Course" will teach you all you need to know about the endgame to reach 1800-USCF.
    I have it and do not like it. It is extremly basic. I like books wichs explains the whole endgame not just the final moves.
  10. 02 Jan '07 21:24
    I'm surprised no one has mention Pal Benko. Anything from him (though it may not be entirely entertaining), is a must for end game study.