1. Joined
    13 Apr '12
    Moves
    22 Jun '13 08:57
    There was a thread about an endgame website on here last night, was I only dreaming or was it really here and has bee deleted? If the latter, then I think that's a shame, but either way, could someone send me a link to the site in a PM. I only looked at it quickly last night as I was tired.

Thanks

Dewi
  2. Joined
    06 Feb '13
    Moves
    22 Jun '13 09:00
    Originally posted by Dewi Jones
    There was a thread about an endgame website on here last night, was I only dreaming or was it really here and has bee deleted? If the latter, then I think that's a shame, but either way, could someone send me a link to the site in a PM. I only looked at it quickly last night as I was tired.

Thanks

Dewi
    There was a thread, I also noticed it had disappeared. Here is the link: http://chessendgames.com
  3. Joined
    08 Apr '09
    Moves
    02 Jul '13 09:01
    I try to do the challenges on that site. I must say that I already have learned a lot with them.

Especially the rook + pawn(s) vs. rook endings were useful. I got stuck there for a while.

Thus far, I only knew how to solve from the Lucena position against standard defense (where you bring rook to the fourth rank etc.), but not how to get there from other positions, or if the opponent has also a pawn.

Also, in the challenges, you sometimes meet other ways for black to defend its position, so you have to adapt to get the win.

Finally, I was able to win all 5 of the rook + pawns endings. The knight endings were easy.

Now I'm struggling to get past the bishop endings. I'm still walking in the dark there. I think the clue is to get your bishop on the queening square covered by your king, so that black's bishop either has to retreat or exchange, giving a free way for your pawn to queen. Am I correct?
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Jul '13 12:20
    Originally posted by tvochess
    I try to do the challenges on that site. I must say that I already have learned a lot with them.

Especially the rook + pawn(s) vs. rook endings were useful. I got stuck there for a while.

Thus far, I only knew how to solve from the Lucena position against standard defense (where you bring rook to the fourth rank etc.), but not how to get there from ...[text shortened]... op either has to retreat or exchange, giving a free way for your pawn to queen. Am I correct?
    Yes the challenges are awesome. I managed to the rook ones but I don't know anything about rook and pawn endgamed so I failed those but it has provided an impetus to learn.
  5. Joined
    08 Apr '09
    Moves
    03 Jul '13 13:29
    Keep trying. For some of them, the difficulty/trick lies in the first couple of moves.

For the rest, getting your rook behind the pawn is often your first task.
  6. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    03 Jul '13 15:27
    This is a really great resource, though I wish there was some way to go back to try a position again once you've much mucked it up.
  7. Joined
    08 Apr '09
    Moves
    03 Jul '13 19:04
    They recently introduced the option to add endgames to a personal collection 'My endgames', also directly from the challenges (click the star). Maybe this is what you need?

I hope their database will become large enough...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree