1. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    07 Jan '07 20:42
    Last night I made a decision - that for the next month I'm going to hit endgame study hard (after midterms...). So I've been looking around to see which books I should use. I already have read part of Pandolfini's Endgame Course, but once I finish that I need something a little more advanced, so I decided to look at Silman's new book - which apparently comes out...tomorrow! It's over 500 pages, and is only about $17 on amazon.com

I'm definitely going to buy it if I get the chance, anybody else interested in it?

http://www.amazon.com/Silmans-Complete-Endgame-Course-Beginner/dp/1890085103/sr=8-1/qid=1168202192/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/104-3449269-2773559?ie=UTF8&s=books
  2. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    07 Jan '07 20:491 edit

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

3. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    07 Jan '07 20:51
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    That's why I haven't bought that yet - but I plan to - I want to become extremely proficient in the endgame, because that's my weakest spot right now.
  4. Atlanta, GA, USA
    Moves
    07 Jan '07 22:34
    I still think that Reuben Fine's Basic Chess Endings is the best and most thorough endgame book ever written...

BV
  5. Joined
    27 Oct '05
    Moves
    07 Jan '07 22:44
    Originally posted by BillyVoltaire
    I still think that Reuben Fine's Basic Chess Endings is the best and most thorough endgame book ever written...

BV
    I just ordered this off amazon.com for less than $5.00 including shipping.
  6. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    07 Jan '07 22:52

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

7. Kalamazoo, MI
    Moves
    07 Jan '07 23:05
    Fine's book is very good, esp for that price. The Dvorestsky book takes more time to get through (I haven't yet) but will increase your understanding, I believe. Also, good, though I don't own it is the Dvorestsky book "Endgame Analysis". All of the School of Chess Excellence books from Edition Olms are well worth having. Actually, I haven't seen a bad or even mediocre book from Mark Dvorestsky yet.
  8. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    07 Jan '07 23:341 edit
    dvoretsky's manual might be excellent, but I can't stay conscious reading it. I hope the silman book offers something in that regard...

I'm now going through (drilling the examples against fritz) the karsten müller endgame dvds, and although dvd's can't contain as much information as a book, I'm still constantly amazed how much there are elementary theory I don't know. well, I knew most of the basic stuff, but watching karsten slamming the variations at lightning speed made me realize I was no where near mastering them, making my feeble knowledge almost useless. so now I'm drilling the stuff until I can instantly recognize & perform the necessary procedures.

and unlike reading the dvoretsky book, it's actually fun.
  9. Donation!~TONY~!
    1...c5!
    Your Kingside
    Moves
    08 Jan '07 00:19
    Originally posted by cmsMaster
    Last night I made a decision - that for the next month I'm going to hit endgame study hard (after midterms...). So I've been looking around to see which books I should use. I already have read part of Pandolfini's Endgame Course, but once I finish that I need something a little more advanced, so I decided to look at Silman's new book - which apparently c ...[text shortened]... er/dp/1890085103/sr=8-1/qid=1168202192/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/104-3449269-2773559?ie=UTF8&s=books
    I emailed him about it and he actually responded with basically what it's all about. I posted it here somewhere, you could probably find it pretty easily, but he also posted a better description on his site. It sounds glorious, and I also already preordered it.
  10. Standard memberrotk
    Orc slayer
    Gondor
    Moves
    08 Jan '07 19:12
    I also have that book, great book already through the King and pawn chapters, it's amazing how easily I'm beating people in endgames, didn't realize how much stuff there is to just king and pawn endgames.
  11. Standard memberHomerJSimpson
    Renouned Grob Killer
    Moves
    09 Jan '07 06:40
    Ive had Silmans book preordered for three months, its supposed to be delivered in just two days so Im excited
  12. Standard memberHomerJSimpson
    Renouned Grob Killer
    Moves
    09 Jan '07 17:50
    Son of a *****, amazon just delayed the book 6 freakin days
  13. Joined
    26 Nov '03
    Moves
    09 Jan '07 18:06
    Originally posted by cmsMaster
    That's why I haven't bought that yet - but I plan to - I want to become extremely proficient in the endgame, because that's my weakest spot right now.
    I think you should wait about 120 (2 x 60) days before you get it
  14. Standard memberHomerJSimpson
    Renouned Grob Killer
    Moves
    09 Jan '07 18:12
    I just talked to boarders, and they said February first!
  15. Standard memberHomerJSimpson
    Renouned Grob Killer
    Moves
    09 Jan '07 18:13
    Originally posted by wormwood
    dvoretsky's manual might be excellent, but I can't stay conscious reading it. I hope the silman book offers something in that regard...

I'm now going through (drilling the examples against fritz) the karsten müller endgame dvds, and although dvd's can't contain as much information as a book, I'm still constantly amazed how much there are elementary theor ...[text shortened]... cessary procedures.

and unlike reading the dvoretsky book, it's actually fun.
    Where did you get those dvds?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree