1. Joined
    24 Mar '05
    Moves
    25 Mar '06 10:44
    I am currently playing a game with just a king vs my opponants king and bishop. Can I, here, claim a draw though insufficent material? Sorry if this has been asked before; I am still new on the forums.
    Thanks for your help,
    theone00
  2. Joined
    28 Dec '05
    Moves
    25 Mar '06 10:49
    Originally posted by the one00
    I am currently playing a game with just a king vs my opponants king and bishop. Can I, here, claim a draw though insufficent material? Sorry if this has been asked before; I am still new on the forums.
    Thanks for your help,
    theone00
    I don't think the "system" recognizes it as a draw (I may be wrong), but just offer a draw and if your opponent is too dumb to accept it just play through 50 moves to get a draw that way.
  3. Standard memberbuffalobill
    Major Bone
    On yer tail ...
    Moves
    25 Mar '06 14:56
    There's a claim draw button on the game screen. Use that.
  4. Standard memberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Moves
    25 Mar '06 15:13
    Thanks for your help,
    theone00
    You can not claim a draw at this time. As of now you can only claim a draw with two kings left. I have talked with Russ on this issue, They will be changeing the interface sometime soon Russ said, so you will be able to claim a draw in these cases. As of now you have to offer a draw, As it is impossible for opponent to checkmate you in this case. If he refuses to accept you have to go threw the 50 moves as stated before. Good Luck. David
  5. Joined
    29 Jun '05
    Moves
    25 Mar '06 16:06
    Thanks for your help,
    theone00
    Yes, mate is impossible if the superior side has only a King and a minor piece (Bishop or Knight). Even if the inferior side's K is in a corner the superior side's K can only cover two of the necessary four squares, and the minor piece cannot cover the other two as they are different colours.
  6. Standard memberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Moves
    25 Mar '06 16:581 edit
    Originally posted by Essex 3
    Yes, mate is impossible if the superior side has only a King and a minor piece (Bishop or Knight). Even if the inferior side's K is in a corner the superior side's K can only cover two of the necessary four squares, and the minor piece cannot cover the other two as they are different colours.
    🙄
  7. Standard memberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Moves
    25 Mar '06 17:101 edit
    Originally posted by Essex 3
    The FIDE rules are; king vs king is draw. king vs king and bishop is a draw. king vs king and knight is a draw. David
  8. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    25 Mar '06 17:11
    Originally posted by KingDavid403
    Please show me a checkmate with King vs. King and bishop? Or show me a checkmate with king vs, King and knight.
    As Essex said "mate is impossible if the superior side has only a King and a minor piece (Bishop or Knight)." it is impossible.
    There is nothing to show.

He who says otherwise is the one that have to show.
  9. Standard memberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Moves
    25 Mar '06 17:25
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    As Essex said "mate is impossible if the superior side has only a King and a minor piece (Bishop or Knight)." it is impossible.
    There is nothing to show.

He who says otherwise is the one that have to show.
    lol my goof. I read the post wrong. I thought essex was saying it was possible instead of IMpossible. DUH! my bad, Sorry! lol David
  10. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    25 Mar '06 17:44
    Originally posted by KingDavid403
    lol my goof. I read the post wrong. I thought essex was saying it was possible instead of IMpossible. DUH! my bad, Sorry! lol David
    You had me worried. Glad you got it straight. 😉

You are correct that a minor piece and king are insufficient to checkmate a lone king. Even helpmates are impossible in such situations.

Eventually, Russ will get these positions added to the claim a draw options. For now, we must suffer 50 moves from time to time against incalcitrant opponents. I've been fortunate so far.
  11. Joined
    24 Mar '05
    Moves
    25 Mar '06 20:08
    Thanks for your responses. I offered a draw to my opponant and he accepted it - must have read your posts. Thanks for your help.
    Theone00
  12. Standard memberDerfel Cadarn
    The Mighty
    Rocky Mountains
    Moves
    25 Mar '06 20:10
    Thanks for your responses. I offered a draw to my opponant and he accepted it - must have read your posts. Thanks for your help.
    Theone00
    Or he could've known that it was a draw and not wanted to wait 50 moves....
  13. Standard memberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Moves
    25 Mar '06 21:10
    Originally posted by Derfel Cadarn
    Or he could've known that it was a draw and not wanted to wait 50 moves....
    Well I found the game. And the player in this case made three moves with his king and bishop vs the one00s king before accepting the draw. So I don't think he knew. But maybe he did and was hoping for a timeout. Either way its over. David

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree