Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Joined
    08 Dec '04
    Moves
    16907
    18 Feb '07 16:05
    Over and over we see threads recommending some line against the French that offers black full equality at move 3 or 4. Yet, at the top levels, 1...e6 scores far worse than 1...c5 or 1...e5. Why are 1.e4 players so afraid to play an active game against the French, attempting to take full advantage of the space advatage that black has conceded with his almost paranoid defense of f7?
  2. Standard memberKorch
    Chess Warrior
    Riga
    Joined
    05 Jan '05
    Moves
    24932
    18 Feb '07 16:141 edit
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    Over and over we see threads recommending some line against the French that offers black full equality at move 3 or 4. Yet, at the top levels, 1...e6 scores far worse than 1...c5 or 1...e5. Why are 1.e4 players so afraid to play an active game against the French, attempting to take full advantage of the space advatage that black has conceded with his almost paranoid defense of f7?
    Because French isnt played so often (as for example Sicilian), so people who plays French knows main lines much better than their opponents. And even you will get some opening advantage (due to your books or databases), your opponent are more skilled in such kind of positions, so your chances of winning equal or stronger opponent (which knows French very well) are very dubious. Also main idea of French is defence or counter-attack - ppl who plays French, likes it. So if white doesnt attacking black will feel some psychologic discomfort.
  3. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Joined
    08 Dec '04
    Moves
    16907
    18 Feb '07 16:36
    Originally posted by Korch
    Because French isnt played so often (as for example Sicilian), so people who plays French knows main lines much better than their opponents. And even you will get some opening advantage (due to your books or databases), your opponent are more skilled in such kind of positions, so your chances of winning equal or stronger opponent (which knows French very well) ...[text shortened]... ays French, likes it. So if white doesnt attacking black will feel some psychologic discomfort.
    But, the French is played by people that don't have time to study books and databases. It is not theory laden, like the Sicilian and Spanish (where one must know lines 20 moves deep). It is simple and straightforward. Yet, white players fear it. It's as if black is saying, "I'm okay with a draw." And white, in fear, offer equality. I think that's why they lose. Attack it and white is okay. Concede equality on move three, and black has already won the psychological game.
  4. Standard memberDiet Coke
    Forum Vampire
    Sidmouth, Uk
    Joined
    13 Nov '06
    Moves
    45871
    18 Feb '07 16:42
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    But, the French is played by people that don't have time to study books and databases. It is not theory laden, like the Sicilian and Spanish (where one must know lines 20 moves deep). It is simple and straightforward. Yet, white players fear it. It's as if black is saying, "I'm okay with a draw." And white, in fear, offer equality. I think that's why they lo ...[text shortened]... is okay. Concede equality on move three, and black has already won the psychological game.
    When I play the french I'm saying.

    "Take control of the centre...then watch me rip it apart.🙂"

    If white wants a draw he can play 3. exd5 then if he's above my rating I'll hunker down for a draw, if he's around my rating or below, I'll outplay him.😀
  5. Standard memberKorch
    Chess Warrior
    Riga
    Joined
    05 Jan '05
    Moves
    24932
    18 Feb '07 16:471 edit
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    But, the French is played by people that don't have time to study books and databases. It is not theory laden, like the Sicilian and Spanish (where one must know lines 20 moves deep). It is simple and straightforward. Yet, white players fear it. It's as if black is saying, "I'm okay with a draw." And white, in fear, offer equality. I think that's why they lo ...[text shortened]... is okay. Concede equality on move three, and black has already won the psychological game.
    I didnt know, that I have no time to study books or databases 😀 . And I can say when I`m playing French, I`m hoping that white will attack and I`ll have a chance to counter attack.
  6. back in business
    Joined
    25 Aug '04
    Moves
    1264
    18 Feb '07 16:50
    When I play against french I say: "Whats wrong with you? Do you think you can afford playing s*it like this against me?"

    And then they nod, and go on to lose.
  7. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Joined
    08 Dec '04
    Moves
    16907
    18 Feb '07 17:31
    Originally posted by Jusuh
    When I play against french I say: "Whats wrong with you? Do you think you can afford playing s*it like this against me?"

    And then they nod, and go on to lose.
    That's sort of how I feel about the KID. 😉
  8. back in business
    Joined
    25 Aug '04
    Moves
    1264
    18 Feb '07 17:331 edit
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    That's sort of how I feel about the KID. 😉
    but KID is played by Radjabow. he can't be wrong, can he?
  9. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Joined
    08 Dec '04
    Moves
    16907
    18 Feb '07 17:52
    Originally posted by Jusuh
    but KID is played by Radjabow. he can't be wrong, can he?
    he's a kid; he plays the KID because he doesn't know any better
  10. Stockholm, Sweden
    Joined
    31 Jan '06
    Moves
    3059
    18 Feb '07 18:04
    I always thought of the KID as kind of weak..
  11. back in business
    Joined
    25 Aug '04
    Moves
    1264
    18 Feb '07 18:14
    against 1.d4 any defence is good enough.
  12. Stockholm, Sweden
    Joined
    31 Jan '06
    Moves
    3059
    18 Feb '07 18:181 edit
    Originally posted by Jusuh
    against 1.d4 any defence is good enough.
    I am not saying it to be silly - from personal experience I was always rather well off against that defense. And, there are also top-GM's who are very skeptical about its merits too (e.g. Korchnoj).

    EDIT: Sorry for going off-topic..
  13. back in business
    Joined
    25 Aug '04
    Moves
    1264
    18 Feb '07 18:26
    KID, not only being sound and solid defense, is one of the most aggressive openings for black. But I understand your point as in unskilled hands the KID will get black into ocean of troubles.
  14. Joined
    12 Nov '06
    Moves
    4541
    18 Feb '07 18:45
    Ok, since this seems to be a french defence post I thought I'd pose a question. If 1.e4 e6 2.d4 d5 3.Nd2 c5 4.Nf3 Nc6 5.exd5 exd5 6.Bb5 and here Bd6 is very standard allowing exc5 with tempo, but what about ..c4 Personally I don't think it's generally a very good idea for black to move more pawns in the opening but at the same time it's probably ok to play like that too. After 7.0-0 Qb6 8.Bxc6 bxc6 9.b3 cxb3 10.axb3 black has a weak a-pawn instead but 8..Qxc6 solves this I think e.g now 9.b3 cxb3 10.axb3 Be6 (not ..Nf6 because of Ba3) 11.c4 probably and it seems that white has all the play. Maybe I have figured out the solution when I have been typing this but could someone confirm that this is worse for black then an isolated queenspawn. My concern with 6..Bd6 7.cxd6 Bxd6 8.0-0 Ne7 is that this doesn't look very active for black either as the knight would rather be on f6 to jump into g4 after say the bishop goes back to d6, that's the sort of play I thought you were looking for when playing in an isolated d-pawn position. Ne7 is best but it looks passive to me.
  15. Standard memberKorch
    Chess Warrior
    Riga
    Joined
    05 Jan '05
    Moves
    24932
    18 Feb '07 19:00
    Originally posted by Jusuh
    against 1.d4 any defence is good enough.
    Even such moves like 1...h5 or 1...a5? 😀
Back to Top