1. Standard memberYuga
    Renaissance
    OnceInALifetime
    Moves
    18 Feb '07 22:37
    Originally posted by Tengu
    Thats a bit too much of a generalisation especially when you consider that the main reasons John Watson dropped the poisoned pawn winawer and 3... Nf6 Tarrasch from the latest edition of "Play the French" was because they had been almost analysed to death.

Although I do agree that generally the spanish, sicilian and KID have been analysed almost to extinction!!!
    I'd agree that the Spanish has been analyzed to death. And the others quite significantly. But still today a 2600 rated player went down with the white pieces in 19 moves...

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1451508
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Feb '07 22:44
    Originally posted by Korch
    Because French isnt played so often (as for example Sicilian), so people who plays French knows main lines much better than their opponents. And even you will get some opening advantage (due to your books or databases), your opponent are more skilled in such kind of positions, so your chances of winning equal or stronger opponent (which knows French very well) ...[text shortened]... ays French, likes it. So if white doesnt attacking black will feel some psychologic discomfort.
    which is why the Exchange Variation is best for getting the usual employers of the French out of their main line...
    it offers symmetry with white to move, which again offers white advantages which are easier to use than those advantages in other French systems for most players...
  3. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    18 Feb '07 23:57
    Originally posted by rubberjaw30
    which is why the Exchange Variation is best for getting the usual employers of the French out of their main line...
    it offers symmetry with white to move, which again offers white advantages which are easier to use than those advantages in other French systems for most players...
    My point. I've seen so many exchange French's since joining Clan 24492 that it seems like a main line. I get equality on move 3, and can easily break the symmetry, which means that all else being equal, I get a good position with better than normal winning chances.

Fear of the French by 1.e4 players empowers the French.

Thus, it becomes a better opening at the patzer levels (where nearly all of us at RHP languish) than it ever could be at higher levels.
  4. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    19 Feb '07 00:021 edit
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    My point. I've seen so many exchange French's since joining Clan 24492 that it seems like a main line. I get equality on move 3, and can easily break the symmetry, which means that all else being equal, I get a good position with better than normal winning chances.

Thus, it becomes a better ...[text shortened]... patzer levels (where nearly all of us at RHP languish) than it ever could be at higher levels.
    I don't fear it that much, I get so many fun options as white.

I can try to make you as uncomfortable as you think you're making me with the Reti or 2.Qe2, I can play one of the main variations and throw a gambit with the Milner-Barry which seems solid. I can play a mainline advanced French and not worry about theory, I can the play Tarrasch which I've heard plenty of French players say they hate facing, and if I ever feel like learning theory I can play white's objectively best line with the Winawer/Classical.

Doesn't sound too scary to me, but playing against the Sicilian...where I'm terrified of the Classical...that's another story.
  5. Standard memberDiet Coke
    Forum Vampire
    Sidmouth, Uk
    Moves
    19 Feb '07 00:03

Thus, it becomes a better ...[text shortened]... patzer levels (where nearly all of us at RHP languish) than it ever could be at higher levels.
    The exchange is the 4th most popular reponse after

1. e4 e6
    2. d4 d5

It is also the weakest, with black having a higher win % than white.
  6. Standard memberDiet Coke
    Forum Vampire
    Sidmouth, Uk
    Moves
    19 Feb '07 00:04
    When I lose with the french it will be up here. 😀
  7. London
    Moves
    19 Feb '07 00:09
    Over and over we see threads recommending some line against the French that offers black full equality at move 3 or 4. Yet, at the top levels, 1...e6 scores far worse than 1...c5 or 1...e5. Why are 1.e4 players so afraid to play an active game against the French, attempting to take full advantage of the space advatage that black has conceded with his almost paranoid defense of f7?
    I've seen the French getting nothing but slaughter by 3. Nc3 this season in London League Division 1.

I either play the Exchange, or 3. Nc3. Depends on the context.

One thing that's strange about the French is that it attracts real obsessive players at every standard. You get 100 ECFs who don't know how to mate with a rook v lone king, but they know the French twenty moves deep.
  8. Standard memberDiet Coke
    Forum Vampire
    Sidmouth, Uk
    Moves
    19 Feb '07 00:15
    Originally posted by TommyC
    I've seen the French getting nothing but slaughter by 3. Nc3 this season in London League Division 1.

I either play the Exchange, or 3. Nc3. Depends on the context.

One thing that's strange about the French is that it attracts real obsessive players at every standard. You get 100 ECFs who don't know how to mate with a rook v lone king, but they know the French twenty moves deep.
    What is your response to 3...Nf6?
  9. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    19 Feb '07 00:19
    Originally posted by Diet Coke
    I think 4.Bg5 is best for white there.
  10. London
    Moves
    19 Feb '07 00:22
    Originally posted by Diet Coke
    The Haldane Hack - 4. e5 Nfd7 5. Qh5.
  11. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    19 Feb '07 00:23
    Originally posted by TommyC
    The Haldane Hack - 4. e5 Nfd7 5. Qh5.
    Oh I like that...
  12. Standard memberDiet Coke
    Forum Vampire
    Sidmouth, Uk
    Moves
    19 Feb '07 00:244 edits
    Originally posted by cmsMaster
    My opponents usually play 4..e5

After which 5. Nf3?! c5!

And black is laughing.

I don't like 4. e5 5. f4

I may considering looking at my opponents 4th+5th moves and decide whether to play 3...Nf6 or 3...Bb4.😀
  13. Standard memberDiet Coke
    Forum Vampire
    Sidmouth, Uk
    Moves
    19 Feb '07 00:34
    Oh I like that...
    I remain to be impressed.
  14. Joined
    20 Dec '05
    Moves
    19 Feb '07 09:08
    I don't fear it that much, I get so many fun options as white.

I can try to make you as uncomfortable as you think you're making me with the Reti or 2.Qe2, I can play one of the main variations and throw a gambit with the Milner-Barry which seems solid. I can play a mainline advanced French and not worry about theory, I can the play Tarrasch which I've ...[text shortened]... aying against the Sicilian...where I'm terrified of the Classical...that's another story.
    Im sorry but I dont agree.

1) The milner-barry is not really that sound IF (and its a big if) you are comfortable with the theory. its over-rated.

2) I am growing to love the poisoned pawn winawer. its deadly weapon for black on so many levels.

3) Ive never hated the Tarrasch and for "frenchies" there is something for everyone in it. You can play IQP positions, Qxd5 or Nf6. Nd2 is just not active enough for me!

However, I can appreciate not all frenchies will feel the same way!!!!!
  15. Joined
    20 Dec '05
    Moves
    19 Feb '07 09:10
    I do agree. The standard classical is too good for black.

But you then give black the option to dictate the direction of the game. They can move into the Burn/Rubenstein with dxe4 or continue with be7.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree