1. Parallel Universe
    Moves
    19 Oct '06 17:16
    I'm thinking about entering the "September '06 Long Haul Grouped Banded I 1600+" tournament. I've never been in a tournament. It says entering tournaments significantly increases the number of active games I'm in. How significant will it be in this case? Can that be answered? I don't know what "Grouped Banded" means. Please help me understand. Thank you.
  2. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    19 Oct '06 17:191 edit
    you play two games against everybody in the group but yourself, so its (groupsize-1)*2

in the first round, that is. winners of the groups continue, so that'll be (numberofgroups-1)*2 in the next round, but it'll usually take many months before the second round starts.
  3. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    19 Oct '06 18:01
    Originally posted by wormwood
    you play two games against everybody in the group but yourself, so its (groupsize-1)*2

in the first round, that is. winners of the groups continue, so that'll be (numberofgroups-1)*2 in the next round, but it'll usually take many months before the second round starts.
    ....So, if the groups size is 4, then you will play 6 games (4x2=8-2=6). If it is 8, you will play 14 games (8x2=16-2=14), etc....
  4. Standard memberleisurelysloth
    Man of Steel
    rushing to and fro
    Moves
    19 Oct '06 18:09
    The group size for that tournament is 4, so you'll most likely get 6 games. It's possible you'll be in a small group and get fewer games, depending on the number of players who enter. Also, I think occassionally they bump up a few groups by one player, again depending on the number of players who enter, so it's possible that you'll get 8 games.
  5. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    19 Oct '06 18:33
    Originally posted by leisurelysloth
    The group size for that tournament is 4, so you'll most likely get 6 games. It's possible you'll be in a small group and get fewer games, depending on the number of players who enter. Also, I think occassionally they bump up a few groups by one player, again depending on the number of players who enter, so it's possible that you'll get 8 games.
    That is a good point actually. In the first round the maximum games you will get is 6. But if you reach the second round, you may get more. If two people tie for first place in the first round, then both of them progress to the second round. Therefore it is possible you may end up in a group of 5 (including yourself), so round 2 or 3 may result in 8 games. Don't worry about it though, it is a long haul tournament!!! You have 21 days to make a move. If you're in a group of 5, that is 8 moves every 21 days, which is cr@p loads of time!! 😉

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree