1. Joined
    01 Jul '08
    Moves
    27 Apr '09 19:50
    Could you estimate a player's rating by going through some of their games? If so, how many games would it take to get a good idea?
  2. Joined
    01 Jul '08
    Moves
    28 Apr '09 02:40
    I ask some stupid questions when I'm drunk don't I?
  3. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    28 Apr '09 02:46
    Originally posted by MilkyJoe
    I don't know, are you drunk or sober?
  4. Joined
    15 Jan '08
    Moves
    28 Apr '09 04:23
    Stop using drunk as an excuse for why your questions are dumb 😉
  5. e4
    Moves
    28 Apr '09 10:06
    I'll be getting drunk at the weekend.

I'll come back on then and answer your question. 😕
  6. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    29 Apr '09 22:532 edits
    Could you estimate a player's rating by going through some of their games? If so, how many games would it take to get a good idea?
    chess is ultimately a game of who makes the fewest "blunders" -- the better your rating, the more subtle your typical blunders will be -- a blunder being a move that ultimately leads to a permanent loss of material -- or overlooking the chance to gain material -- and of course, moves that lead to being mated.

so - one could go through each game, see where material was lost, a pawn passed, or a mate happened, and then find out how it happened and how it could've been prevented --- and then judge how obvious or subtle the blunder was -- obviously, it would be harder to find the "missed opportunity" blunders.

there are probably computer programs that could do this and give a rather good estimate -- and I would guess you'd need at least 20-30 games to offset the occasional "DOH!!" moments that we all have.
  7. Joined
    07 Jun '05
    Moves
    03 May '09 10:39
    Originally posted by Melanerpes
    ...snip...
    and I would guess you'd need at least 20-30 games to offset the occasional "DOH!!" moments that we all have.
    I'd go for about 5 games against similarly rated opposition, which kind of gives the answer.

When a new guy comes to your chess club, you try to get him to play against a few different people, of different abilities, and go from there.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree