1. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    20 May '08 17:25
    Originally posted by AttilaTheHorn
    What about a situation which is a dead draw and the opponent declines my draw offer? If I only have a king left, it's in the middle of the board, and my opponent has only 2 knights, but declines the draw offer, what then? In OTB play, I'd call the arbiter, but what happens on RHP?
    if there's no pawn, you can send feedback and the admins will force the draw.
  2. Standard memberAttilaTheHorn
    Erro Ergo Sum
    In the Green Room
    Moves
    20 May '08 18:40
    Originally posted by wormwood
    Thanks, I wasn't sure of the procedure.
  3. Sigulda, Latvia
    Moves
    20 May '08 19:23
    Originally posted by meta x zen
    Etiquette Question: Is it in bad form to recommend to player that they resign? Is there ever a okay time to ask?

e.g. its a long haul and the guy is down to 3 pawns with no hope of promotion against two rooks. He moves once every 3 weeks??? Curious...

Thanks
    You're a sub, play as many games as you want and don't let this particular one bother you, because, as many have pointed out, it's bad etiquette to insist on your opponent's resignation. Or choose faster games. The tournament's name should have warned you - "Long Haul".
  4. Joined
    21 Sep '05
    Moves
    20 May '08 19:46
    Why would they force a draw? I thought KNN vs K could still be won, albeit not forceable.
  5. Joined
    08 Dec '07
    Moves
    20 May '08 19:52
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    I remember a game between a young man and a older one which was being watched by a large crowd. The young man was material down but had a terrific attack and eventually announced triumphantly "Mate in 3!". The old man just smiled and lit his pipe. The young man frowned and looked at the board again. A few moments later he said "No, it's mate in 4!". The old ...[text shortened]... ours later the young man was waiting for him in the car park and gave him a good kicking.
    He attacked an old man? Shame on him.
  6. Joined
    08 Dec '07
    Moves
    20 May '08 19:53
    Originally posted by Varenka
    Why would they force a draw? I thought KNN vs K could still be won, albeit not forceable.
    Exactly. Not forcable. Almost impossible even with the opponent helping sometimes. 😉
  7. Joined
    21 Sep '05
    Moves
    20 May '08 20:03
    Originally posted by mjolnir
    Exactly. Not forcable. Almost impossible even with the opponent helping sometimes. 😉
    Sorry, are you saying they should force the draw or not? If they were to force the draw, they wouldn't be following the FIDE rules of chess.
  8. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    20 May '08 20:13
    well it would be a bit pointless to play the game until either one of the players would randomly hit a real life problem and time out, don't you think? or die of old age.
  9. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    20 May '08 20:16
    Sorry, are you saying they should force the draw or not? If they were to force the draw, they wouldn't be following the FIDE rules of chess.
    do fide rules include infinite time as well?
  10. Joined
    21 Sep '05
    Moves
    20 May '08 20:20
    do fide rules include infinite time as well?
    They include the 50 move rule so where is the infinite time coming from?
  11. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    20 May '08 20:26
    They include the 50 move rule so where is the infinite time coming from?
    ah, you're right of course... I'd still try feedback though.
  12. Joined
    21 Sep '05
    Moves
    20 May '08 20:34
    ah, you're right of course... I'd still try feedback though.
    By-the-way, I agree it would be extrememly tedious to face the possibility of having to play it out - potentially over years. Maybe an update to the TOS could address such scenarios. But on the other hand, people willing to accept 21/21 time controls had better have a lot of patience anyway! Years is the expectation... 🙂
  13. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    20 May '08 20:43
    By-the-way, I agree it would be extrememly tedious to face the possibility of having to play it out - potentially over years. Maybe an update to the TOS could address such scenarios. But on the other hand, people willing to accept 21/21 time controls had better have a lot of patience anyway! Years is the expectation... 🙂
    I'm still playing the first tournament I took part in, the April 06 Grouped Banded 1600-1699, and it's only 7/14. 🙂
  14. Joined
    23 Feb '07
    Moves
    20 May '08 21:32
    I received a message from an opponent early in the game that said
    "YOU ARE LOSING"
  15. Standard memberAttilaTheHorn
    Erro Ergo Sum
    In the Green Room
    Moves
    20 May '08 21:47
    An opponent had not moved in a couple of days. His clock ran out today and I clicked the skull to get the win. I didn't feel bad about that because I never feel that winning on time is somehow less of a win, and besides, I had a winning position anyway, but it would have taken me many moves to force the win.
    A minute or two after I clicked the skull, he sent me a message calling me all sorts of bad names. Maybe I should have reported that, but I ignored him and immediately added him to my ignore list. Do you think I should have reported him?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree