European Chess International in Liverpool

European Chess International in Liverpool

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FL

Moves
11 Sep 08

David Tebb is playing in this tournament:
http://www.liverpoolchessinternational.co.uk/crosstable.htm

He's played Grandmasters in the first two rounds, and even managed to draw the first game!

I spotted one other RHPer in the crosstable, but he prefers to stay anonymous.

Ketevan Arakhamia-Grant beat up Nigel Short in round 2. Maybe she could have won the British Championships after all...

e4

Moves
11 Sep 08

Did Keti not win because Nigel's mobile went off?

Strong rumour about this on another site.

FL

Moves
11 Sep 08
2 edits

Originally posted by greenpawn34

Indeed, a reliable source (The Chess Parrot) says this is the case. Here is the game:

White: Nigel Short
Black: Ketevan Arakhamia-Grant

e4

Moves
11 Sep 08

I wonder who called?

Perhaps a friend telling him to turn off his mobile.

FL

Moves
11 Sep 08
5 edits

I wonder who called?

Perhaps a friend telling him to turn off his mobile.
Stories about mobile phones going off in unusual circumstances are already circulating. My favourite is one about a team captain who was worried that one of his players hadn't arrived so he went outside to call him to see where he was, only to be told that the said player had just arrived via a different door and the captain's call had cost him the game!

Keiran Smallbone lost in the last round of the Kidlington Congress last year (? maybe the year before) when his girlfriend called him to see how he was getting on.

I was the captain of a team where one of my player's opponent's phone went off. He claimed the game but the league secretary decided to award him half a point and his opponent no points!
http://www.oxfordfusion.com/oca/ViewResult.cfm?LeagueID=41&Display=1040

And here is a great one from Sean Terry of Oxford City Club from his Disinformator magazine, featuring local legend Kelly Riley (a man who was once arrested for being drunk in charge of a horse):

An ordinary night at the club. Wantage are playing City 3, and Kelly is on board 2 against Clive Walley. Univ 2 are playing City 2 on the other side of the room.

Kelly gets up from the table and heads to the door. His mobile phone goes off. Disconcerted, he hops to the other side of the door.

A moment’s silence; and his phone rings again. In rushes Kelly, to collect the phone… which has been in the coat jacket on his chair all the time.

The audience collapses.

e4

Moves
11 Sep 08

There were three well known cases in Scotland last season.

One was actually his girlfriend calling to wish him good luck.

A spectator's mobile went off in the Edinburgh Congress.
Controllers appeared from everywhere trying to find the player.

I wonder. Can a player refuse to be awarded the game and carry on
playing or must he accept the win?

FL

Moves
11 Sep 08
1 edit

According to the FIDE rules, the arbiter/controller is the person who decides on the outcome of the game. The person whose phone went off will get zero points, but the other player may get zero, half or a full point at the discretion of the arbiter.

c

USA

Moves
11 Sep 08

In a tournament I played in a little over a year ago Grandmaster Sam Palatnik lost to a national master because his phone went off. The rule was that if your phone went off, you lose 10 minutes from the clock. And he had 7 left before the call.

K
Chess Warrior

Riga

Moves
11 Sep 08
1 edit

There were three well known cases in Scotland last season.

One was actually his girlfriend calling to wish him good luck.

A spectator's mobile went off in the Edinburgh Congress.
Controllers appeared from everywhere trying to find the player.

In Riga Open 2008 there was case when player`s mobile ringed but opponent wanted to play and arbiter agreed to continue game.

T

Lancaster

Moves
11 Sep 08

For your perusal......

http://www.liverpoolchessinternational.co.uk/reports/reports_rd2.htm

JoL
Curb Your Enthusiasm

London

Moves
11 Sep 08

I wonder who called?
I suspect a Doris Stokes/Tony Miles combo

http://streathambrixtonchess.blogspot.com/2008/09/tick-tick-tick-ix.html

MR

Moves
11 Sep 08

Originally posted by JonathanB of London
I suspect a Doris Stokes/Tony Miles combo

http://streathambrixtonchess.blogspot.com/2008/09/tick-tick-tick-ix.html
I wonder if the players will start yanking the batteries out of their phones before their games. 😵

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
11 Sep 08

Originally posted by chesskid001
In a tournament I played in a little over a year ago Grandmaster Sam Palatnik lost to a national master because his phone went off. The rule was that if your phone went off, you lose 10 minutes from the clock. And he had 7 left before the call.
Ouch, the rules across the pond are tough. The rule at most of the big tourneys here is:

35. Cellphones are prohibited in the tournament room. If your cellphone rings in the tournament room during play, you lose 10 minutes or half your remaining time, whichever is less. For a second offense in the same tournament, you forfeit your game.

K

Hollow earth

Moves
11 Sep 08

It's not that difficult to turn off a cellphone.Are people so addicted to their little toy they can't do without it for a few hours?

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
11 Sep 08

Originally posted by Katastroof
It's not that difficult to turn off a cellphone.Are people so addicted to their little toy they can't do without it for a few hours?
You just forget; you have other things on your mind at a tourney. I always carry my cell with me (that is what it's for) and have sometimes forgot to turn it off during an OTB game (generally though the TD gives a little speech reminding you before you start the clocks). Fortunately, it has never rang on those occasions.