1. Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Oct '10 21:232 edits
    anyone read this book by J.Agaard and Scottish master John Shaw? seems to be one of the newest, also any other recommendations on the open Sicilian? yes yes i know, its another opening book, but i am really interested in middle game plans in open Sicilian, any recommendation would be helpful 🙂
  2. Standard memberThabtos
    I am become Death
    Moves
    28 Oct '10 01:48
    I like Dismantling the Sicilian by Jesus de la Villia.

It's a good collection of master games with some decent explanation.
  3. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    28 Oct '10 01:51
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    anyone read this book by J.Agaard and Scottish master John Shaw? seems to be one of the newest, also any other recommendations on the open Sicilian? yes yes i know, its another opening book, but i am really interested in middle game plans in open Sicilian, any recommendation would be helpful 🙂
    I have the book. It's kinda advanced and has a number of annoying typos in the analysis (sometimes it's hard to tell where they are diverging from a line). In general they stick to a recommended line (like 6 Bg5 against the Najdorf) though the coverage and the illustrative games in that line are excellent.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Oct '10 07:34
    Originally posted by Thabtos
    I like Dismantling the Sicilian by Jesus de la Villia.

It's a good collection of master games with some decent explanation.
    yes i heard that this was also very good, i have his book on Morphy which was excellent, writing style is quite lucid and he enlivens his explanations with illustrations which i like.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Oct '10 08:20
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    I have the book. It's kinda advanced and has a number of annoying typos in the analysis (sometimes it's hard to tell where they are diverging from a line). In general they stick to a recommended line (like 6 Bg5 against the Najdorf) though the coverage and the illustrative games in that line are excellent.
    mmm, when you say kinda advanced are we talking intermediate to expert level or beyond? i have just finished the section on the English/Sicilian in Andrew Soltis pawn structure chess which was thoroughly excellent in looking at plans for both sides, although he devotes just a little to the Najdorf, although what he does say is truly excellent and he covers all the types of pawn structures one comes across, from the Dragon to the Maroczy bind to the Scheveningen and the Najdorf, infact i am rereading the section again this time taking my time, it was just tooo much information at once.
  6. Standard memberThabtos
    I am become Death
    Moves
    28 Oct '10 14:47
    mmm, when you say kinda advanced are we talking intermediate to expert level or beyond? i have just finished the section on the English/Sicilian in Andrew Soltis pawn structure chess which was thoroughly excellent in looking at plans for both sides, although he devotes just a little to the Najdorf, although what he does say is truly excellent and he ...[text shortened]... rereading the section again this time taking my time, it was just tooo much information at once.
    My only complaint is no mention of the Scotch in the book.
  7. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    28 Oct '10 14:52
    mmm, when you say kinda advanced are we talking intermediate to expert level or beyond? i have just finished the section on the English/Sicilian in Andrew Soltis pawn structure chess which was thoroughly excellent in looking at plans for both sides, although he devotes just a little to the Najdorf, although what he does say is truly excellent and he ...[text shortened]... rereading the section again this time taking my time, it was just tooo much information at once.
    While each chapter has an introduction outlining the basic idea - some of these chapters are pretty theory intensive and I would reccomend it if you already have a pretty good understanding of the opening.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree