1. under your bed
    Moves
    07 Jan '12 00:06
    I now this is a very random question but does anyone know of anyone who was physically or mentally disabled (not including blind) that has made it in Chess e.g at least IM level etc?
  2. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    07 Jan '12 00:40
    Originally posted by plopzilla
    I now this is a very random question but does anyone know of anyone who was physically or mentally disabled (not including blind) that has made it in Chess e.g at least IM level etc?
    Tal had a severely deformed right hand.
    http://chessville.com/images/Benko_P.155_(Tal.Fischer).jpg
  3. e4
    Moves
    07 Jan '12 01:07
    Steinitz (club foot).
  4. Standard memberQuirke
    Racing Ralph
    53x11
    Moves
    07 Jan '12 02:14
    Tarrasch had a club foot.
  5. Joined
    03 Feb '08
    Moves
    07 Jan '12 14:57
    Jon Speelman is visually impared. In Jan 89 he was ranked 4th in the world.
    He is also known for playing an amazing sacrificial combination to deliver mate. The only problem was that he had gotten his opponent's king and queen mixed up.
  6. Joined
    21 Jul '09
    Moves
    07 Jan '12 17:43
    What about that chap who was inside the mechanical Turk?
  7. bedlam
    Moves
    07 Jan '12 18:10
    mental: all of them
    physical: Michael Aigner (limited fame though)
  8. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    07 Jan '12 18:16
    Originally posted by torten
    mental: all of them
    physical: Michael Aigner (limited fame though)
    he's only a uscf NM though, so more like a strong club player. no FIDE title as far as I know.
  9. Joined
    04 Sep '07
    Moves
    07 Jan '12 19:37
    Bobby Fischer's early teacher Jack Collins was a wheelchair user, and must have been master strength though I think he only competed in correspondence events.

I seem to remember there was a Soviet player in the 1950s who had lost both his hands during the war, but I can't remember his name.
  10. Standard memberatticus2
    Frustrate the Bad
    Liverpool
    Moves
    07 Jan '12 21:25
    Thomas Luther, the German GM, has thalidomide-style foreshortened arms.

Jon Speelman wears spectacles, but I'm not aware his 'visual impairment' goes beyond that.

Korchnoi now has serious mobility problems; but hardly surprising at his age.

Keene is obese
  11. Standard memberThabtos
    I am become Death
    Moves
    07 Jan '12 21:391 edit
    Smyslov's eyesight was a disability. I like the pic where VS is blind and dapper Kramnik is holding his hand. Smyslov probably thought Kramnik is still a fat drunk with long hair.
  12. bedlam
    Moves
    08 Jan '12 09:11
    Originally posted by wormwood
    he's only a uscf NM though, so more like a strong club player. no FIDE title as far as I know.
    I thought he was FM but can't find him on their list,so guess not.Perhaps he just didn't bother to pay for it?

Anyway,he's been close to 2300,don't know if he ever made it across that barrier.
    Pretty respectable imo,and better than the 'strong clubplayer'.Unless your area has very strong clubplayers,of course 🙂
  13. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    08 Jan '12 15:16
    Originally posted by torten
    I thought he was FM but can't find him on their list,so guess not.Perhaps he just didn't bother to pay for it?

Anyway,he's been close to 2300,don't know if he ever made it across that barrier.
    Pretty respectable imo,and better than the 'strong clubplayer'.Unless your area has very strong clubplayers,of course 🙂
    well, you know, I regard all untitled players as club players. sure he has honorary titles and is a liked and known player/coach, but still just a club player.

I know he AIMED for FM, so probably wasn't about the money had he made it.

just looked up, on his ICC profile he says he peaked at 2298 FIDE. now 2188 FIDE and 2200 USCF (that's a rating floor, right?). so didn't quite make it. and "now retired from serious chess."
  14. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    08 Jan '12 16:48
    Originally posted by wormwood
    well, you know, I regard all untitled players as club players. sure he has honorary titles and is a liked and known player/coach, but still just a club player.

I know he AIMED for FM, so probably wasn't about the money had he made it.

just looked up, on his ICC profile he says he peaked at 2298 FIDE. now 2188 FIDE and 2200 USCF (that's a rating floor, right?). so didn't quite make it. and "now retired from serious chess."
    I looked up Michael Aigner on the USCF website. His peak rating was 2340, and he earned the original Life Master title, which means he played at least 300 tournament games at a rating above 2200. That title includes a 2200 floor for his rating.

Original Life Masters are rare in the USCF, and very well respected. There are a number of players who break the 2200 threshold long enough get the rating published and claim the National Master title, but there are very few who can sustain that performance over 300 tournament games.
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    09 Jan '12 23:493 edits

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree