1. Joined
    07 Jun '05
    Moves
    23 Feb '15 19:16
    Originally posted by piranga
    There is also the classic by Hans Kmoch: "Die Kunst der Bauernführung"; in English I think it is something like "Pawn Power in Chess".
    The English version I have of that one is so classical (Dover, 1990) that I have to translate it to algebraic notation as I go. The title is exactly that.
  2. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    24 Feb '15 05:56
    Originally posted by gezza
    The English version I have of that one is so classical (Dover, 1990) that I have to translate it to algebraic notation as I go. The title is exactly that.
    Yes, I used to be able to follow descriptive notation, but the way the point of view keeps switching back and forth is a complete pain.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Feb '15 09:041 edit
    Originally posted by Eladar
    From what I read in the review the book is directed at 1.d4 players like yourself.
    Find whoever reviewed the book and slap them about the head for me. How can looking at pawn configurations like the Dragon or the English or the Stonewall (both kingside and queenside stonewalls) be aimed at 1.d4 players, how many Dragon players play 1.d4?

I am not sure there is even such a thing as a 1.d4 player, there is a move 1.d4 which is objectively a good move, but a 1.d4 player? Personally i don't know any opening theory. I once memorised the Ruy Lopez but only managed to about move twelve and even then I used to get mixed up. I could not tell you what to play against the Slav, semi Slav, Kings Indian, Queens Indian, Benoni or anything else for that matter, I simply play what appears reasonable to me. I can tell you from experience that I have played, 1.d4, 1.e4, 1.c4, 1.Nf3, 1.b3, 1.g3 and 1.f4. I don't think i have ever played 1.b4 or 1.g4.

I think its more accurate to try to find out if you have a preference for open, semi open or closed positions. Because after all, one can reach all of them by 1.d4 or 1.e4 Personally I am more comfortable in semi open positions although I cannot say if the statistics have borne this out, but this is my understanding at present.

Here are all the structures that GM Soltis covers,

2.1 Caro formation
    2.2 Slav formation
    2.3 Sicilian – Scheveningen
    2.4 Sicilian – Dragon
    2.5 Sicilian – Maróczy bind
    2.6 Hedgehog
    2.7 Sicilian – Boleslavsky hole
    2.8 d5 chain
    2.9 e5 chain
    2.10 King's Indian – Rauzer formation
    2.11 King's Indian – Boleslavsky Wall
    2.12 Queen's Gambit – Isolani
    2.13 Queen's Gambit – hanging pawns
    2.14 Queen's Gambit – Orthodox Exchange
    2.15 Panov formation
    2.16 Stonewall formation
    2.17 Closed Sicilian formation

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree