1. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    18 Oct '11 01:10
    Reached this position in a game (which is still on going but we're into an ending now which doesn't bear resemblance to this position any more).

White to play. My opponent defended well and i could only win a pawn but really feel i should have got more out of this position. Anyone care to have a go? Black always seems to have a defence. 🙂

2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    18 Oct '11 01:37
    Originally posted by Marinkatomb
    Reached this position in a game (which is still on going but we're into an ending now which doesn't bear resemblance to this position any more).

White to play. My opponent defended well and i could only win a pawn but really feel i should have got more out of this position. Anyone care to have a go? Black always seems to have a defence. 🙂

[fen]2k1r3/pNp2q1p/2n5/3R1pp1/8/1Q2P3/P4PPP/6K1 w - - 0 1[/fen]
    Assuming it's white's move, N-c5 looks reasonable.
  3. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    18 Oct '11 01:574 edits

[fen]2k1r3/pNp2q1p/2n5/3R1pp1/8/1Q2P3/P4PPP/6K1 w - - 0 1[/fen]
    edit: On second thought Qc4 wraps up nicely since the knight can't move because then Nd6+ picks up the queen. If ...Re6 then Qa6 and if the queen moves to protect the knight then still Nd6+. The only move for black seems to be ...Re5.

4. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    18 Oct '11 02:19
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Assuming it's white's move, N-c5 looks reasonable.
    The simplest response to that for black is ..Qxd5 Qxd5 ..Rd8 (white back rank is weak...)
  5. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    18 Oct '11 02:25
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    edit: On second thought Qc4 wraps up nicely since the knight can't move because then Nd6+ picks up the queen. If ...Re6 then Qa6 and if the queen moves to protect the knight then still Nd6+. The only move for black seems to be ...Re5.

[pgn][FEN "2k1r3/pNp2q1p/2n5/3R1pp1/8/1Q2P3/P4PPP/6K1 w"] 1.Qc4 Re5 2.Rd8+ Kxb7 3.Qxf7 Nxd8 4.Qxh7[/pgn]
    Annoyingly enough, i found this variation the day before and forgot it by the time i played my move! Stuck in a Rook ending now (though up a pawn in what should be a fairly straightforward win...shouldn't give any more details though as its still in progress).

I played Qb5 but ran into Rd5. I think i spent too long looking at the position and simply lost the thread and blundered. What's interesting is that it appears that black has a response to almost any white move, the position looks so dangerous but finding a killer blow is a lot harder than it looks...
  6. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    18 Oct '11 03:00
    Annoyingly enough, i found this variation the day before and forgot it by the time i played my move! Stuck in a Rook ending now (though up a pawn in what should be a fairly straightforward win...shouldn't give any more details though as its still in progress).

I played Qb5 but ran into Rd5. I think i spent too long looking at the position and simply l ...[text shortened]... ve, the position looks so dangerous but finding a killer blow is a lot harder than it looks...
    I do that ALL the time in CC. My rating on every live play site is at least two hundred points higher than here.
  7. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    18 Oct '11 03:041 edit
    The simplest response to that for black is ..Qxd5 Qxd5 ..Rd8 (white back rank is weak...)
    Except that Qe6 or Qxf5 are both check. I would probably play ..Na5 in blitz but a tricky defense is ...Nb4 because the Queen is overworked in the defense of the rook and, like you said, the back rank is weak.
  8. .
    Moves
    19 Oct '11 08:371 edit
    I don't see this as an issue. After Rd8, it is White's move and mate is forced after a few checks starting with Qxf5+ with options on b1 (leading to b7) or d7 depending on Black's response.
  9. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    19 Oct '11 19:37
    Originally posted by andrew93
    I don't see this as an issue. After Rd8, it is White's move and mate is forced after a few checks starting with Qxf5+ with options on b1 (leading to b7) or d7 depending on Black's response.
    Ahhh! b1, of course!! I missed so much in this position, shocking! :'(

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree