1. Joined
    13 Apr '06
    Moves
    03 Mar '10 08:37
    What does fics% GuestXXXX is censoring you mean? I'm too nice a person for people to be censoring me. 😵
  2. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    03 Mar '10 14:02
    <help censor>
  3. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    03 Mar '10 16:491 edit
    It means that you are playing on a free chess site, the sort that is often not worth the price. It also might mean that the censoring stops when the subject logs off
    (I have a hunch that such is part of the nature of playing as a guest, but it is possible that clients such as Babas allow guests to censor the same parties through repeated log-ins).

Has FICS cleaned up the pandemic of lag abuse and flagrant engine use yet? It's hard to do such things when all the help is volunteer.
  4. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    04 Mar '10 11:26
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    It means that you are playing on a free chess site, the sort that is often not worth the price. It also might mean that the censoring stops when the subject logs off
    (I have a hunch that such is part of the nature of playing as a guest, but it is possible that clients such as Babas allow guests to censor the same parties through repeated log-ins).

Has F ...[text shortened]... abuse and flagrant engine use yet? It's hard to do such things when all the help is volunteer.
    I doubt it. Honestly I don't even notice it. Like all live chess sites, what I always see is abuse from some sore losers. I now have my chat box hidden by default.
  5. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    04 Mar '10 14:15
    Originally posted by zebano
    I doubt it. Honestly I don't even notice it. Like all live chess sites, what I always see is abuse from some sore losers. I now have my chat box hidden by default.
    You don't notice severe lag in three minute games?
  6. Joined
    25 Jul '07
    Moves
    04 Mar '10 22:53
    I would barely have time to notice the game in a three minute game :-)
  7. Joined
    29 Jul '01
    Moves
    04 Mar '10 23:48
    I have not had any problems with FICS. Well maybe I have bad chess playing problems. I cannot get a rating to 1300 in a 2 min 15 sec increment game. I have never had a lag problem with FICS.
  8. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    05 Mar '10 02:04
    I don't have severe lag on FICS.
  9. Standard memberthesonofsaul
    King of the Ashes
    Trying to rise ....
    Moves
    05 Mar '10 20:12
    Originally posted by gambit3
    I have not had any problems with FICS. Well maybe I have bad chess playing problems. I cannot get a rating to 1300 in a 2 min 15 sec increment game. I have never had a lag problem with FICS.
    I have the same issue, except I get my rating to 1300, just not much over. Seems to suggest that FICS ratings aren't directly comprable to "real" ratings. My rating on World Chess Live (kind of like baby ICC--owned by the same people) is in the steady 1800's with pure 15 min games, much closer to both my rating here and my USCF rating.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree