1. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    23 Dec '09 16:18
    This is a problem I've had for quite some time now. During a game, my opponent might stop moving and I try to call the flag when his time is up, but the time just goes into the negative.

Does anybody know what's going on and how to fix this thing. It's been going on for years.
  2. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    23 Dec '09 16:35
    it's a server bug, and as far as I know you can't do anything about it. try to adjourn, log out, log in, and rematch your opponent. they don't usually come back though, as they know they'd lose the game.

I just resign the game, forget and move on. I'm done with requesting adjudications.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Dec '09 17:202 edits
    AFAIK it's because of the lag between the two players. The clock will go negative until it spends all the lag, if you wait long enough you either will see your opponent's move with the correct clock situation or he/she will flag. There's nothing you can do about it.
  4. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    23 Dec '09 18:20
    How long can a lag be? I've let it go to minutes negative. Surely a lag isn't going to be more than 5 minutes.
  5. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    23 Dec '09 18:39
    Originally posted by Eladar
    How long can a lag be? I've let it go to minutes negative. Surely a lag isn't going to be more than 5 minutes.
    yeah, it's not lag. lag can be something like from a few seconds up to a minute, but when you get hit with the server bug the clock will run for as long as you let it.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Dec '09 19:21
    Originally posted by wormwood
    yeah, it's not lag. lag can be something like from a few seconds up to a minute, but when you get hit with the server bug the clock will run for as long as you let it.
    I didn't know that, glad it never happened to me, I would rather cut my hand off than resign in such situation. 🙂
  7. Joined
    29 Aug '09
    Moves
    24 Dec '09 05:01
    That could make waving problematic.
  8. Joined
    25 Apr '06
    Moves
    24 Dec '09 05:05
    I've had someone go ballistic when for some reason the auto-flag didn't work when my time had expired. I just typed resign and he was all friendly again.
  9. Joined
    26 Dec '08
    Moves
    01 Jan '10 19:33
    Originally posted by wormwood
    it's a server bug, and as far as I know you can't do anything about it. try to adjourn, log out, log in, and rematch your opponent. they don't usually come back though, as they know they'd lose the game.

I just resign the game, forget and move on. I'm done with requesting adjudications.
    FICS now has an automated adjournment request form at www.freechess.org/Adjudicate

There's no need to send a message to "adjudicate" anynore.
  10. Joined
    25 Apr '06
    Moves
    01 Jan '10 19:451 edit
    Originally posted by Nitreb
    FICS now has an automated adjournment request form at www.freechess.org/Adjudicate

There's no need to send a message to "adjudicate" anynore.
    Is your fics name the same
  11. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    01 Jan '10 20:40
    My FICS name is the same. My rating is on the rise for blitz games. I'm now sitting at 1280. At the beginning of the week I was sitting at 1050 with a high in the low 1100's. I'm rather happy!

I had an opponent go into negative numbers again a couple of days ago. He had been lagging all game (somehow he always got time back) so I decided to wait 2 minutes and he game back at neg 2 something.

I think India has some bad internet connections. That's what one guy told me as we played. He was losing connections and explained that in India internet connection problems are common.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree