1. Joined
    13 Apr '06
    Moves
    25 Jun '07 19:14
    According to Ilyumzhinov's interview he indicated that FIDE may well revise the time controls in favour of shorter ones citing Toiletgate and the Turin Olympiad. Is this bad news for those of you who are paranoid of shorter time controls? I don't think Danilov complained about Kramnik's toilet visits during the tiebreak.

http://susanpolgar.blogspot.com/2007/06/interview-with-his-excellency.html
  2. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    25 Jun '07 19:18
    Originally posted by z00t
    According to Ilyumzhinov's interview he indicated that FIDE may well revise the time controls in favour of shorter ones citing Toiletgate and the Turin Olympiad. Is this bad news for those of you who are paranoid of shorter time controls? I don't think Danilov complained about Kramnik's toilet visits during the tiebreak.

I've played by best chess and got my hihest OTB rating (2170) when I played regularly at 40 moves in 2h30m and 20 moves per hour thereafter.

Now I am playing at 30 moves in 1h15m and 24 moves per hour thereafter or 30 moves in 1 hour and 15 minutes to complete the game my OTB rating is 1875.

Q.E.D.
  3. Standard memberKorch
    Chess Warrior
    Riga
    Moves
    25 Jun '07 19:311 edit
    Originally posted by z00t

"Q: So, your new proposal is 1 hour for the entire game?

A: Maybe more, but this is the direction we are going."

For me 1 hour is acceptable (most of my local OTB tournaments have similar time control).

"Q: Will the classical control be kept only for the most important tournaments?

A: For World Championships, yes.[.....] When I met Vladimir Kramnik in Paris recently, he said that the classical control should be preserved for World Championships, but rapid control can make chess more exciting for the public."

So to become world champion you will need ability to play classic time control.
  4. Dublin
    Moves
    26 Jun '07 11:51
    1 hour per game is very short. The fastest time control I've played in a tournament is 1:30 per game.
  5. Joined
    03 Mar '07
    Moves
    26 Jun '07 12:00
    Ilyumzhinov is an idiot. Faster time controls would not make the game more exciting to the public. Most of the public barely know how the pieces move or understand the game, making the games faster would do nothing but lower the quality of the games.
  6. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    26 Jun '07 12:04
    Originally posted by Schumi
    1 hour per game is very short. The fastest time control I've played in a tournament is 1:30 per game.
    I think it sounds very nice. sort of like watching a football match or a long movie. more risks, more intuition, less draws = more exiting chess. the only downside I can see is "b-b-but it's always been done like this! 😠"
  7. Joined
    25 Sep '04
    Moves
    26 Jun '07 12:32
    We used to play 30/30 tmts. with 15/15 as the next time controls and they were great fun, but nobody took them seriously. The reason adjournments were eliminated was so players couldn’t analyze the games with an engine. What’s the difference if Fritz analyzes the game or, as they did in the old days, a whole gaggle of Russian GM’s? As for a weekender few games were ever adjourned. What player below GM is going to remember reams of Fritz’ analysis when they resume? Ilyumzhinov's looking for a way to get sponsors to bring in money. Quality is not an issue.
  8. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    26 Jun '07 13:031 edit
    Originally posted by Leaadas
    Faster time controls would not make the game more exciting to the public. Most of the public barely know how the pieces move or understand the game, making the games faster would do nothing but lower the quality of the games.
    I agree with you on this. Faster time controls will only get the public more confused as they will have less time to see the re ...[text shortened]... nce around the players during the game. After all, if you want more people to watch, that'll do it.
  9. Standard memberEnglish Tal
    Phoneless
    Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Jun '07 13:25
    Originally posted by Korch
    [b]"Q: So, your new proposal is 1 hour for the entire game?

A: Maybe more, but this is the direction we are going."

For me 1 hour is acceptable (most of my local OTB tournaments have similar time control).

"Q: Will the classical control be kept only for the most important tournaments?

A: For World Championships, yes.[.....] When I met Vladi ...[text shortened]... lic."

So to become world champion you will need ability to play classic time control.[/b]
    A: For World Championships, yes.[.....] When I met Vladimir Kramnik in Paris recently, he said that the classical control should be preserved for World Championships, but rapid control can make chess more exciting for the public."

Dumbing down. It's the way society is moving. I'm afraid.

Making chess more exciting for the public?? Weird... does he think that the average person will now think...'Oh... chess time controls have shrunk... I must start watching some matches. This'll be greeeeeat!'
  10. Joined
    07 Nov '04
    Moves
    26 Jun '07 13:32
    Ilyumzhinov is an idiot. Faster time controls would not make the game more exciting to the public. Most of the public barely know how the pieces move or understand the game, making the games faster would do nothing but lower the quality of the games.
    I couldn't agree more. I think good players should be able to play good chess at a rate of 40 moves in two hours, and most of the rest of us prefer to see good chess. As for Ilyumzhinov, how can anyone take FIDE at all seriously when someone of his ilk runs it?
  11. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    26 Jun '07 13:39
    Originally posted by English Tal
    Making chess more exciting for the public?? Weird... does he think that the average person will now think...'Oh... chess time controls have shrunk... I must start watching some matches. This'll be greeeeeat!'
    who cares about the people who don't care about chess. but do you have the time (or energy) to focus on watching a 6 hour game in real time, only to see it ending into a draw? I don't. my mind wanders. even the GM commentators don't, so they comment on multiple games simultaneously and take breaks.

would you want to watch a football game lasting so long it would be impossible to watch it all the way through?
  12. Joined
    03 Mar '07
    Moves
    26 Jun '07 13:50
    Originally posted by wormwood
    who cares about the people who don't care about chess. but do you have the time (or energy) to focus on watching a 6 hour game in real time, only to see it ending into a draw? I don't. my mind wanders. even the GM commentators don't, so they comment on multiple games simultaneously and take breaks.

would you want to watch a football game lasting so long it would be impossible to watch it all the way through?
    Okay that is an interesting question.

Do you as a chess player like to watch other chess matches as kind of a sporting event in the same way someone would watch football or baseball or soccer(I am American forgive me 😛 )
  13. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    26 Jun '07 14:01
    Okay that is an interesting question.

Do you as a chess player like to watch other chess matches as kind of a sporting event in the same way someone would watch football or baseball or soccer(I am American forgive me 😛 )
    yes, I do often watch relayed games, and I might even drink a beer or two during it.
  14. Joined
    03 Mar '07
    Moves
    26 Jun '07 14:04
    Okay, then yeah I can see this appealing to you. For me I love this game but I can't watch it for very long, even if matches were shortened.
  15. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    26 Jun '07 14:141 edit
    Okay, then yeah I can see this appealing to you. For me I love this game but I can't watch it for very long, even if matches were shortened.
    I does kinda kill the whole day, if you want to watch some particular game from start to finish...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree