Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. 11 Dec '06 07:01
    Hi I have fifty dollars to spend on ? something chess? a book,program or subcription to a web site? where could I best spend this money to get the most learning from it. Thanks in advance Kevin
  2. Subscriber LordofADown
    King of all Hills
    11 Dec '06 07:17 / 1 edit
    fritz? chess tactics art?
    i'm in the same boat as you and those are the two I have been considering for myself.
  3. Standard member bosintang
    perpetualEditMonkey
    11 Dec '06 07:52
    I'd first buy a subscription and then with money left over I'd buy a good all-purpose book.
  4. 11 Dec '06 08:10
    Originally posted by Kevin Mcfarland
    Hi I have fifty dollars to spend on ? something chess? a book,program or subcription to a web site? where could I best spend this money to get the most learning from it. Thanks in advance Kevin
    Fritz and then use the years free subscription to playchess, wont get better value for your money.
  5. 11 Dec '06 14:49
    Originally posted by Bedlam
    Fritz and then use the years free subscription to playchess, wont get better value for your money.
    There are a few different fritz programs is fritz 10 the best one?
  6. Standard member Wulebgr
    Angler
    11 Dec '06 15:13
    Originally posted by Kevin Mcfarland
    There are a few different fritz programs is fritz 10 the best one?
    presumably
  7. 12 Dec '06 01:18
    Originally posted by Kevin Mcfarland
    Hi I have fifty dollars to spend on ? something chess? a book,program or subcription to a web site? where could I best spend this money to get the most learning from it. Thanks in advance Kevin
    Looking at your rating I would go with either a chess program, dvd, or a book.

    I would chose one of the chessmaster 9000 or I recommend CM10000 if your computer can handle it.

    There are at least 30 lectures on there, explaining the games.

    Tutorials, puzzles, you can play vs the computer, you can make tournaments in there, play simulation games, blindfold etc...

    Fritz is better for game analysing and db use, but CM has more learning features for chessplayers. the only thing I use fritz for is to analyse my game.

    While I still watch the CM lectures, and learn from them. And I also set up tournaments vs computer personalities and see how I do.

    so CM is my choice if you got $50 to spend.
  8. 12 Dec '06 01:20
    isnt CM like $15?
  9. 12 Dec '06 01:56
    Originally posted by YUG0slav
    isnt CM like $15?
    No idea. You never know the prices of things now days.

    The game I want is $0.01 on ebay. Just give it to me for free already I don't trust online shopping stuff.
  10. 12 Dec '06 02:01
    Originally posted by Kevin Mcfarland
    There are a few different fritz programs is fritz 10 the best one?
    hm, Id pick an engine that plays in your style, so its analysis might be more meaningful to you.
  11. 12 Dec '06 04:29 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by RahimK
    No idea. You never know the prices of things now days.

    The game I want is $0.01 on ebay. Just give it to me for free already I don't trust online shopping stuff.
    You had probably also better look closely at the shipping and handling fees for that.
    eBay sellers can be kinda tricky sometimes.
    game 1 cent , shipping & handling $40.00...
  12. 12 Dec '06 05:11
    Originally posted by Pavlo87
    You had probably also better look closely at the shipping and handling fees for that.
    eBay sellers can be kinda tricky sometimes.
    game 1 cent , shipping & handling $40.00...
    That's why I don't trust it and others online shopping things. Plus I don't have a card either.
  13. Standard member HomerJSimpson
    Renouned Grob Killer
    12 Dec '06 05:26
    Originally posted by Bedlam
    hm, Id pick an engine that plays in your style, so its analysis might be more meaningful to you.
    actually no engine moves like a human, as humans are incapable of evaluating millions of positions
  14. 12 Dec '06 08:56
    Originally posted by HomerJSimpson
    actually no engine moves like a human, as humans are incapable of evaluating millions of positions
    Each engine has a different style and these styles make them give different evaluations and moves in positions. For example Junior or Gambit Tiger are much more likely to sac pieces or pawns than say Fritz.