1. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    11 Dec '06 07:01
    Hi I have fifty dollars to spend on ? something chess? a book,program or subcription to a web site? where could I best spend this money to get the most learning from it. Thanks in advance Kevin
  2. Standard memberLordofADown
    King of all Hills
    Connecticut
    Moves
    11 Dec '06 07:171 edit
    fritz? chess tactics art?
    i'm in the same boat as you and those are the two I have been considering for myself.
  3. Standard memberbosintang
    perpetualEditMonkey
    Nova Scotia
    Moves
    11 Dec '06 07:52
    I'd first buy a subscription and then with money left over I'd buy a good all-purpose book.
  4. Joined
    21 Apr '06
    Moves
    11 Dec '06 08:10
    Originally posted by Kevin Mcfarland
    Hi I have fifty dollars to spend on ? something chess? a book,program or subcription to a web site? where could I best spend this money to get the most learning from it. Thanks in advance Kevin
    Fritz and then use the years free subscription to playchess, wont get better value for your money.
  5. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    11 Dec '06 14:49
    Originally posted by Bedlam
    Fritz and then use the years free subscription to playchess, wont get better value for your money.
    There are a few different fritz programs is fritz 10 the best one?
  6. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    11 Dec '06 15:13
    presumably
  7. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    12 Dec '06 01:18
    Looking at your rating I would go with either a chess program, dvd, or a book.

I would chose one of the chessmaster 9000 or I recommend CM10000 if your computer can handle it.

There are at least 30 lectures on there, explaining the games.

Tutorials, puzzles, you can play vs the computer, you can make tournaments in there, play simulation games, blindfold etc...

Fritz is better for game analysing and db use, but CM has more learning features for chessplayers. the only thing I use fritz for is to analyse my game.

While I still watch the CM lectures, and learn from them. And I also set up tournaments vs computer personalities and see how I do.

so CM is my choice if you got $50 to spend.
  8. Joined
    29 Jul '06
    Moves
    12 Dec '06 01:20
    isnt CM like $15?
  9. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    12 Dec '06 01:56
    Originally posted by YUG0slav
    isnt CM like $15?
    No idea. You never know the prices of things now days.

The game I want is $0.01 on ebay. Just give it to me for free already 🙁 I don't trust online shopping stuff.
  10. Joined
    21 Apr '06
    Moves
    12 Dec '06 02:01
    hm, Id pick an engine that plays in your style, so its analysis might be more meaningful to you.
  11. U.S.A.
    Moves
    12 Dec '06 04:292 edits
    Originally posted by RahimK
    No idea. You never know the prices of things now days.

The game I want is $0.01 on ebay. Just give it to me for free already 🙁 I don't trust online shopping stuff.
    You had probably also better look closely at the shipping and handling fees for that. 🙂
    eBay sellers can be kinda tricky sometimes.
    game 1 cent , shipping & handling $40.00...
  12. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    12 Dec '06 05:11
    Originally posted by Pavlo87
    You had probably also better look closely at the shipping and handling fees for that. 🙂
    eBay sellers can be kinda tricky sometimes.
    game 1 cent , shipping & handling $40.00...
    That's why I don't trust it and others online shopping things. Plus I don't have a card either.
  13. Standard memberHomerJSimpson
    Renouned Grob Killer
    Moves
    12 Dec '06 05:26
    Originally posted by Bedlam
    hm, Id pick an engine that plays in your style, so its analysis might be more meaningful to you.
    actually no engine moves like a human, as humans are incapable of evaluating millions of positions
  14. Joined
    21 Apr '06
    Moves
    12 Dec '06 08:56
    Originally posted by HomerJSimpson
    actually no engine moves like a human, as humans are incapable of evaluating millions of positions
    Each engine has a different style and these styles make them give different evaluations and moves in positions. For example Junior or Gambit Tiger are much more likely to sac pieces or pawns than say Fritz.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree