Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. 26 Jun '06 04:27
    If you use the Smith-Morra Gambit against the Sicilian, then consider the following...

    I ran across a defense (on chessville.com) that might help many fight the English while not having to learn much/any new theory. This is really for those who like risky/tactical positions and want to bring the English player into unfamiliar territory.

    The Vector Gambit
    1.c4 d5 2.cxd5 c6 3.dxc6 is the Vector Gambit Accepted. Black normally takes back the pawn with 3…Nxc6. It is quite possible that Black can gambit another pawn by playing 3…e5 4.cxb7 Bxb7. It is like a reverse Danish Gambit line.

    For anybody that uses the Smith-Morra Gambit against the Sicilian this offers the same concept, except with black. It's tactical and should offer black equal/near-equal chances.
    Full article at: http://chessville.com/instruction/Openings/SearchforDragonsandMythicalChessOpenings/VectorGambit.htm


    I hope that this may help out a couple of Smith-Morra Gambit players to fight the English .
  2. Donation !~TONY~!
    1...c5!
    26 Jun '06 04:38
    Risky certainly seems the word for it dude. In my own opinion(alot of strong players agree), the Smith Morra is bogus. So to enter it a tempo down is completely nuts. Seems to me like white can just play Nf3, Nc3, d3, Bg5, e3, Be2, and 0-0 before Black gets anything going.
  3. 26 Jun '06 04:41
    Originally posted by !~TONY~!
    Risky certainly seems the word for it dude. In my own opinion(alot of strong players agree), the Smith Morra is bogus. So to enter it a tempo down is completely nuts. Seems to me like white can just play Nf3, Nc3, d3, Bg5, e3, Be2, and 0-0 before Black gets anything going.
    I never thought I'd hear you call a risky opening completely nuts .
    I'm trying to find someone that will play 1.c4 against me, but it isn't easy to find (at least on the FICS). I'm not sure how it will work, but it certainly looks like fun.

    PS: Come on you use the Dragon and welcome the Yugoslav and you think this is risky/nuts??
  4. Donation !~TONY~!
    1...c5!
    26 Jun '06 04:45
    Originally posted by cmsMaster
    I never thought I'd hear you call a risky opening completely nuts .
    I'm trying to find someone that will play 1.c4 against me, but it isn't easy to find (at least on the FICS). I'm not sure how it will work, but it certainly looks like fun.

    PS: Come on you use the Dragon and welcome the Yugoslav and you think this is risky/nuts??
    Haha, I live for Yugoslav attacks. I don't live for being down a pawn (and giving up a center one at that!) for no reason. I played the Smith Morra Gambit when I came up the ranks, and I have taken my fair share of beats on the black side, but I think I can honestly say that I haven't not been better out of the opening in any recent games. I simply don't believe in it. I want to, but I don't.
  5. 26 Jun '06 04:48
    Originally posted by !~TONY~!
    Haha, I live for Yugoslav attacks. I don't live for being down a pawn (and giving up a center one at that!) for no reason. I played the Smith Morra Gambit when I came up the ranks, and I have taken my fair share of beats on the black side, but I think I can honestly say that I haven't not been better out of the opening in any recent games. I simply don't believe in it. I want to, but I don't.
    Well true, it is strange that you trade a a central pawn for a non-central pawn, and there are plenty of examples to show it's weak. However it is certainly trappy, and white will be in for a surprise. I'm not too worried because I usually use a Sicilian Grand Prix (which I'm sure you hate ) or the basic open sicilian.
  6. 26 Jun '06 04:49
    Originally posted by cmsMaster
    I never thought I'd hear you call a risky opening completely nuts .
    I'm trying to find someone that will play 1.c4 against me, but it isn't easy to find (at least on the FICS). I'm not sure how it will work, but it certainly looks like fun.

    PS: Come on you use the Dragon and welcome the Yugoslav and you think this is risky/nuts??
    i will play 1.c4 if you want a game?
  7. Donation !~TONY~!
    1...c5!
    26 Jun '06 04:53
    Originally posted by cmsMaster
    Well true, it is strange that you trade a a central pawn for a non-central pawn, and there are plenty of examples to show it's weak. However it is certainly trappy, and white will be in for a surprise. I'm not too worried because I usually use a Sicilian Grand Prix (which I'm sure you hate ) or the basic open sicilian.
    I don't get into the Grand Prix Attack either. If it wasn't so easy for black to force through d5 in the Bc4 lines, I would definitely play it, since white players used to just mess black up with a quick f5 break. Alas, that doesn't really happen that much anymore.
  8. 26 Jun '06 04:53
    Originally posted by trevor33
    i will play 1.c4 if you want a game?
    Unrated set piece? Or do you have FICS?
  9. 26 Jun '06 04:54
    Originally posted by !~TONY~!
    I don't get into the Grand Prix Attack either. If it wasn't so easy for black to force through d5 in the Bc4 lines, I would definitely play it, since white players used to just mess black up with a quick f5 break. Alas, that doesn't really happen that much anymore.
    I use it because it is very similar to the King's Gambit. I still feel like playing the Open Sicilian offers me better results though...
  10. 26 Jun '06 05:02
    Originally posted by cmsMaster
    Unrated set piece? Or do you have FICS?
    whats fics? i don't mind what the settings are.
  11. 26 Jun '06 05:08
    Originally posted by trevor33
    whats fics? i don't mind what the settings are.
    FICS is a chess server for OTB chess (on the internet of course...) The game is set up, I'll try not to blunder. (BTW I set it as the accepted version as this seems most likely to occur).
  12. Standard member XanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    26 Jun '06 05:28
    Originally posted by !~TONY~!
    Risky certainly seems the word for it dude. In my own opinion(alot of strong players agree), the Smith Morra is bogus. So to enter it a tempo down is completely nuts. Seems to me like white can just play Nf3, Nc3, d3, Bg5, e3, Be2, and 0-0 before Black gets anything going.
    I think you are partially right. The Smith-Morra is fine but this thing is wacky.

    For one after 1. c4 d5 hardly anyone is going to take the pawn. I have 2. d4 played ~30,000 times and cxd5 played 21 times. Also after Nxc6 you have the Smith-Morra except the pawn is on e7 rather than e5. That might seem small but it's a big difference.
  13. Donation !~TONY~!
    1...c5!
    26 Jun '06 05:36 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    I think you are partially right. The Smith-Morra is fine but this thing is wacky.

    For one after 1. c4 d5 hardly anyone is going to take the pawn. I have 2. d4 played ~30,000 times and cxd5 played 21 times. Also after Nxc6 you have the Smith-Morra except the pawn is on e7 rather than e5. That might seem small but it's a big difference.
    I concur. In the Smith Morra at least Black has to defend and overcome a pretty seriously development advantage. In this line blacks pieces don't even come out all that quickly.
  14. Standard member XanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    26 Jun '06 05:45
    Originally posted by !~TONY~!
    I concur. In the Smith Morra at least Black has to defend and overcome a pretty seriously development advantage. In this line blacks pieces don't even come out all that quickly.
    The only part where I really disagreed with you was on your appraisal of the Smith Morra being bogus.
  15. 08 Jul '06 18:11 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    The only part where I really disagreed with you was on your appraisal of the Smith Morra being bogus.
    Played a set piece game with the help of Trevor using the white side. Overall, the game was uneventful, not exciting, not very sharp, and certainly not what I was hoping for. I probably won't use this opening anymore, but for those interested...

    Game 2207350