1. Joined
    09 Aug '01
    Moves
    08 Jul '07 15:162 edits
    the latest Chess Life magazine is about a 34 yr old american taking ten years to go from IM to earning the GM title this year.

what struck me as odd is how the article is saying that this young man had to forstake western materialism to live a life of being cool, riding his bicycle and being proudly "unemployed" while still impressing the women.

so my question is whether the sacrifice is worth it?

to me, this is not glamorous lifestyle. the man will quickly realize his youth has been wasted. one quickly grows old in their 30's---those years go by so quickly.
  2. washington
    Moves
    08 Jul '07 19:21
    chess can consume a person. what i mean is that once you are so good it is addicting to try to get to the top no matter how its done. one could probably care less about how rich they are as long as they are doing what they love. who knows his agenda or why he did what he did but looks like hes where he always wanted to be.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Jul '07 19:24
    Originally posted by kmac27
    chess can consume a person. what i mean is that once you are so good it is addicting to try to get to the top no matter how its done. one could probably care less about how rich they are as long as they are doing what they love. who knows his agenda or why he did what he did but looks like hes where he always wanted to be.
    Ban me!!!!!!! 😉😛😀😀
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Jul '07 19:261 edit
    Originally posted by tonytiger41
    the latest Chess Life magazine is about a 34 yr old american taking ten years to go from IM to earning the GM title this year.

what struck me as odd is how the article is saying that this young man had to forstake western materialism to live a life of being cool, riding his bicycle and being proudly "unemployed" while still impressing the women.
    ...[text shortened]... youth has been wasted. one quickly grows old in their 30's---those years go by so quickly.
    Unemployed 30+ year old that rides a bicycle and plays chess? He's a real chick-magnet alright, bet he has women falling all over him.

And what's all this repetitive nonsense about evil "western matierialism"? Like people everywhere else don't try to get ahead and make the big bucks so they can have a lot of comfort and security? What, is the rest of the world spinning prayer wheels and developing their conciousness?
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Jul '07 19:27
    Originally posted by Black Mask
    [b]
    Ban me!!!!!!! 😉😛😀😀[/b]
  6. washington
    Moves
    08 Jul '07 19:36
    money isn't everything to a woman you know. you'd be suprised how even a decent guy can get a super hot woman just by talking to her with confidence. smooth talking women is where its all about. cheracter not green stuff. although green stuff does help.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Jul '07 19:40
    money isn't everything to a woman you know. you'd be suprised how even a decent guy can get a super hot woman just by talking to her with confidence. smooth talking women is where its all about. cheracter not green stuff. although green stuff does help.
    LOL
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Jul '07 19:40
    hah.....I remember when I was a chucklehead college student trying to get along, didn't see a lot of interested women. Later, when I graduated and began making it, women became much more friendly.

My experience is contrary to your claim.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Jul '07 19:42
    Originally posted by Sam The Sham
    hah.....I remember when I was a chucklehead college student trying to get along, didn't see a lot of interested women. Later, when I graduated and began making it, women became much more friendly.

My experience is contrary to your claim.
    Awwww
  10. washington
    Moves
    08 Jul '07 19:45
    guess i just have a way with women that some don't ;-) i have been turned down like twice. but then again one of them came out of the closet a few years later. lol and i didn't have a job at the time.
  11. Joined
    05 Jun '07
    Moves
    08 Jul '07 20:30
    In high school no one really has money 🙄 but in my experience someone's personality and humor can get them girls, especially if they look alright.
  12. Standard memberhammster21
    Endgamer
    Wisconsin
    Moves
    08 Jul '07 20:57
    Originally posted by yofidawg
    In high school no one really has money 🙄 but in my experience someone's personality and humor can get them girls, especially if they look alright.
    Not in my high school. There were kids driving around brand new $20,000 cars that there daddy bought them. I lost a girl to one of these guys 😞
  13. Joined
    05 Jun '07
    Moves
    08 Jul '07 21:14
    $20,000? You should see the cars people around here drive, try twice that, sheesh!

I meant that everyone really has the same amount of money, at least around here (I live in a pretty wealthy district) so no one's really "rich" comparatively.

If it makes you feel better, I drive a '96 Camry station wagon 😛 but its a great car...its cause my parents are stingy lol
  14. Standard memberhammster21
    Endgamer
    Wisconsin
    Moves
    08 Jul '07 21:18
    Originally posted by yofidawg
    $20,000? You should see the cars people around here drive, try twice that, sheesh!

I meant that everyone really has the same amount of money, at least around here (I live in a pretty wealthy district) so no one's really "rich" comparatively.

If it makes you feel better, I drive a '96 Camry station wagon 😛 but its a great car...its cause my parents are stingy lol
    92 Buick Lesabre here, Its been totaled (not by me) so its worth $250. It'
    s really sad that I pay twice that for insurance every 6 months.
  15. Standard memberIan709
    In the learning
    Southern California
    Moves
    08 Jul '07 21:21
    Originally posted by hammster21
    Not in my high school. There were kids driving around brand new $20,000 cars that there daddy bought them. I lost a girl to one of these guys 😞
    I hope that this was some time ago, because a 20,000 dollar car around my school won't get you any.

By the way, I've met IM (or GM now) Jesse Krai...it's not worth it 😕🙄

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree