1. Joined
    21 Oct '11
    Moves
    18 Jan '13 21:24
    I've been playing the sicilian against kings pawn and dutch against the queens pawn opening, and I read somewhere these are considered to be the best defenses, which makes me wonder as to what might be alternate defenses against popular openings?
  2. Standard memberKepler
    Demon Duck
    of Doom!
    Moves
    18 Jan '13 22:15
    Originally posted by alleey
    I've been playing the sicilian against kings pawn and dutch against the queens pawn opening, and I read somewhere these are considered to be the best defenses, which makes me wonder as to what might be alternate defenses against popular openings?
    A few years ago I only ever played 1. ... g6 against everything. Now I play Sicilian against 1. e4, 1. ... e5 if I feel frisky and Pirc if i feel daft. Against 1. d4 I generally play King's Indian with occasional forays into 1. ... g6 territory just for fun. 1. Nf3 always gets 1. ... d5 and the English gets 1. ... c5. I have no idea if those are best, I just happen to like them now. Tomorrow I may be playing 1. ... e6 against everything or something else.
  3. Standard memberkingshill
    Mr Ring Rusty
    Wales
    Moves
    18 Jan '13 23:26
    Originally posted by alleey
    There is no such thing as 'best' opening. Each will have their merits and demerits and your choice will depend on your style and your desired outcome for the game. As a beginner virtually anything is playable.

The Sicilian is a sharp opening where black is looking for more than a draw. It is very theoretical and required a great deal of study as better players know many lines 20 or moves long. The theory is always evolving and is often in a dynamic state of flux. You will also have to know many anti Sicilian systems eg the Morra which can be a devil at a lower level, Rosslimov, Wing gambit, Closed, etc.

The Dutch is a sound choice at sub master level. For a beginner is stakes an easy claim over one of the central squares (e4) and many of the moves can be played mechanically whatever white plays
  4. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    19 Jan '13 16:46
    Your best defense against openings is to learn how to play chess better. 😀

Yah, I suck. 😀
  5. Joined
    03 Feb '13
    Moves
    06 Feb '13 20:40
    The best defense in competitive chess is the same as best defense in American football.

As Jimmy Johnson, former head coach of the Dallas Cowboys put it,

"Attack on defense."

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree