First good take a auto-win.

First good take a auto-win.

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

7 edits

The moral highground

Moves
12 Mar 08

I have found that the first person to take a significant piece and gain a advantage will win since all they need to do is keep tradeing pieces and eventually they will be one piece up thus get a queen at the end and win.

Moves
12 Mar 08

Originally posted by Brother Edwin
I have found that the first person to take a significant piece and gain a advantage will win since all they need to do is keep tradeing pieces and eventually they will be one piece up thus get a queen at the end and win.
It's not the first blunder that decides a game, it is the last one.

D

Moves
12 Mar 08

So true! My chess club leader and I play appaling games OTB. Our latest one involved him gaining a significant positional advantage in the opening, and then i made and unsound bishop sac on f2 (I thought I could regain the piece with a pawn as well). For some reason he then proceeded to somehow get into a very drawish position despite his huge material advantage, and after that I forked his knight and king, and i proceeded to a winning endgame. I made a terrible mistake in leaving my queenside unguarded, and then the final rooks were swapped off into a drawn position of 2Pv2P. He then did not take the opposition, giving me an opportunity to win with my outside pawn. About 10 major mistakes in that game, and the one that won me the game? His last one.

b

Moves
12 Mar 08

Originally posted by Dejection
So true! My chess club leader and I play appaling games OTB. Our latest one involved him gaining a significant positional advantage in the opening, and then i made and unsound bishop sac on f2 (I thought I could regain the piece with a pawn as well). For some reason he then proceeded to somehow get into a very drawish position despite his huge material adv ...[text shortened]... side pawn. About 10 major mistakes in that game, and the one that won me the game? His last one.
in reference to that game
i was watching i know the whole story
i think the onli reason he was willing to go for a drawish position was because he was caught having to record the moves as you went along
when i started watching, he had around 20 seconds was it? against ur 5 minutes
SO.... i dont think in a proper game u wuldve won
that has nothing to do with the topic but i jst had to rub that in ur face dejection ^^
RUY FTW

D

Moves
12 Mar 08

It was a standard game, 15 minutes+10seconds. There is an agreement that whoever is white records the moves.
And shut up about Ruy ftw.

A

Sub 1500

Moves
12 Mar 08

FTW. you only have to exchange pieces on your own terms, you can hand off a knight, or a bishop and still reach a drawn or winning endgame, sometimes sacraficing a knight to merge a pawn chain and isolated pawns can be more than worthwhile.

It all depends on the ending. a Rook+Knight 3 p's vs Rook+5p's becomes a story of who has the better pawn structure, and, what good is a endgame where N+2 pawns one on A# and one on H# against 3 pawns, A# H# F# ?
all the sudden black has at the least a guaranteed draw.

(remember A and H pawns cant be promoted against proper play.)