Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. 29 Jun '06 19:28
    Here is my first pawn vs. king endgame:
    Game 2161640

    How did I do?

    Probably not good.
  2. 29 Jun '06 19:47
    Originally posted by LanndonKane
    Here is my first pawn vs. king endgame:
    Game 2161640

    How did I do?

    Probably not good.
    Good news. You won.
  3. 29 Jun '06 19:52
    Originally posted by dottewell
    Good news. You won.
    Ya but that was because he was only a 1200. If I was up against a higher rated opponent, I need to know what I did wrong if I am to stand a chance.
  4. 29 Jun '06 20:01
    Originally posted by LanndonKane
    Here is my first pawn vs. king endgame:
    Game 2161640

    How did I do?

    Probably not good.
    you did okbut in general when you don't have any pawns to spare the best way to queen a pawn is to get your king directly in front of your pawn and force away your opponents king

    take this classic example



    1.e4?? Ke7 Ke2 Ke6 Ke3 Ke5 and now black will never let the white king in front of his pawn

    correct is 1.Kd2! Kd8 (takes opposition) 2.Ke3 Ke7 3.Ke4 Ke6 4.e3 Kd6 5.Kf5 Ke7 6.Ke5! Kd7 7.Kf6 Kd8 8.Ke6! Ke8 9.e4 Kd8 10.Kf7 Kd7 11.e5 +- see how the white king always tries to control the e file.
  5. 29 Jun '06 20:03 / 1 edit
    You have played 81 games and that was your first pawn vs king endgame?
  6. 29 Jun '06 20:08
    Originally posted by meyekal
    You have played 81 games and that was your first pawn vs king endgame?
    As far as I can remember, yes.
  7. 29 Jun '06 20:17 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by LanndonKane
    Here is my first pawn vs. king endgame:
    Game 2161640

    How did I do?

    Probably not good.
    Easier not to push the b-pawn, let the Black king come to it while you run your king over to take the g-pawn and queen the g- or h-. Instead you took the b-pawn towards the Black king and lost the head start you could have had.
  8. 29 Jun '06 20:29
    Originally posted by Knightlore
    Easier not to push the b-pawn, let the Black king come to it while you run your king over to take the g-pawn and queen the g- or h-. Instead you took the b-pawn towards the Black king and lost the head start you could have had.
    easier to queen the b pawn and not even bother with the g-pawn
  9. 29 Jun '06 22:00 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by aginis
    easier to queen the b pawn and not even bother with the g-pawn
    b-pawn's not promotable after b5, though. I think its more useful to learn that the general idea in this sort of endgame is that the benefit of a distant passed pawn is the fact that it has to be watched while you're free to gobble up any remaining pawns and promote elsewhere.
  10. 29 Jun '06 22:05 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by Knightlore
    b-pawn's not promotable with decent play by Black, he'll statemate or lose the pawn.
    56.Ka6 if you can't promote that you shouldn't be offering criticism of other people's games

    Edit ahhh i see you changed ur post while i was writing mine.

    Not nearly as important as knowing how to play KPvK for both sides.
    as you see it didn't really matter whether he went after the g pawn first or second but both times he pushed his pawns in front of his king. basics come first, a lot of beginners play pretty well but can't checkmate KRvK or BBKvK and i still can't manage KNNvKP or BNKvK
    but thankfully those are rare.
  11. 29 Jun '06 22:07
    Originally posted by aginis
    56.Ka6 if you can't promote that you shouldn't be offering criticism of other people's games

    Edit ahhh i see you changed ur post while i was writing mine.
    Explain to me how, after b5 and Black moves Kb7 White can then play Ka6.
  12. 29 Jun '06 22:11 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Knightlore
    Explain to me how, after b5 and Black moves Kb7 White can then play Ka6.
    Problem solved, i long for the day people in these forums place knowledge and camaraderie over attempts at one-up-manship.
  13. Standard member Natural Science
    blunderer of pawns
    29 Jun '06 22:33
    This is not on the topic that you asked, but the actual checkmate took a few more moves than it needed to. You could have played 80.Qg3 Kh6 81.Qg6 checkmate.
  14. 29 Jun '06 23:10
    Originally posted by aginis
    56.Ka6 if you can't promote that you shouldn't be offering criticism of other people's games

    Edit ahhh i see you changed ur post while i was writing mine.

    Not nearly as important as knowing how to play KPvK for both sides.
    as you see it didn't really matter whether he went after the g pawn first or second but both times he pushed his pawns in front of ...[text shortened]... ate KRvK or BBKvK and i still can't manage KNNvKP or BNKvK
    but thankfully those are rare.
    I already have you on my "top ten most hated RHP users list". You criticize him for offering bad advice but you have been throwing bad advice all over this forum...
  15. 30 Jun '06 07:13
    Originally posted by cmsMaster
    I already have you on my "top ten most hated RHP users list". You criticize him for offering bad advice but you have been throwing bad advice all over this forum...
    acerbic advice maybe....bad advice? would you care to give an example?