1. Joined
    12 Dec '05
    Moves
    01 Oct '08 08:39
    I've always enjoyed playing the odd game of chess with friends since I learned how to play whilst doing my A-levels.

However, i'm really getting in to playing chess here at RHP so I wondered how my game would be OTB.

I use analyse board a lot which i obviously won't be able to do tonight, and if i'm really struggling i might sleep on a move which probably wouldn't go down well.

Any tips would be much appreciated!
  2. Hollow earth
    Moves
    01 Oct '08 11:01
    Originally posted by sporadic
    I've always enjoyed playing the odd game of chess with friends since I learned how to play whilst doing my A-levels.

However, i'm really getting in to playing chess here at RHP so I wondered how my game would be OTB.

I use analyse board a lot which i obviously won't be able to do tonight, and if i'm really struggling i might sleep on a move which probably wouldn't go down well.

No tips but I wish you luck and,above all,enjoy yourself 🙂
  3. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    01 Oct '08 20:17

RHP should help your OTB play. Just don't get in a hurry and you should be fine.
  4. Joined
    12 Feb '05
    Moves
    01 Oct '08 20:29
    Originally posted by bill718
    Just don't get in a hurry and you should be fine.
    Agreed. Self-control is the most important aspect (aside of chess ability itself). In my earliest OTB games I made some bad mistakes due to panicking. Patience is also very important.
  5. e4
    Moves
    01 Oct '08 20:34
    Good luck.

All I'll say is if you bump into a good player and your are beat
    then resign. Ask him to go over the game with you.
    Don't drag out a lost position. The chances are he won't play you again.
  6. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    01 Oct '08 20:50
    Good Luck
    Expect to be paired with one of the best players in the club for a game or 2. They do this to evaluate you and properly set you up at a level close to yours. You'll be amazed with the tricks used, nothing further but you'll pick up on it pretty quickly. Kind of funny.
    Good Luck and have fun.
  7. Joined
    12 Dec '05
    Moves
    02 Oct '08 18:071 edit
    Originally posted by hamltnblue
    Good Luck
    Expect to be paired with one of the best players in the club for a game or 2. They do this to evaluate you and properly set you up at a level close to yours. You'll be amazed with the tricks used, nothing further but you'll pick up on it pretty quickly. Kind of funny.
    Good Luck and have fun.
    It was fun last night and you're right they did pair me with the boss man who duely taught me a lesson! thought i had him on the ropes for a minute lol!

Then the only person not paired up was 8 y.o. and i made a right dogs dinner of it but won in the end.

Ended up playing a chap similar level to me - i beat him then he beat me, was on my fourth pint by then tho and he wasn't drinking!
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Oct '08 10:05
    some oldschool advice from the masters:

-if they are slow games, sit on your hands so that when they itch to make a quick move, you don't let them do it.
    -if you are keeping notation, write down the move BEFORE you make it on the board. this will give you a fresh look to the move and supposedly avoid at least hanging your queen or something.

good luck 🙂
  9. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    03 Oct '08 10:141 edit
    Originally posted by diskamyl
    some oldschool advice from the masters:

-if they are slow games, sit on your hands so that when they itch to make a quick move, you don't let them do it.
    -if you are keeping notation, write down the move BEFORE you make it on the board. this will give you a fresh look to the move and supposedly avoid at least hanging your queen or something.
    Writing down the move before you make it is actually forbidden in the FIDE rules now. Apparently some players were abusing it by writing down analysis on their scoresheets.

If you have the time, in critical positions it can be a good idea to get up, stand behind your opponent and look at the board from his point of view, trying to imagine it after you have made you move. This has the advantage of being very outputting to your opponent.

Of course to do this you have to recognise the critical position when it arises, not five moves later!
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Oct '08 13:28

Keep using the analysis board at your OTB tournaments......but this time it will be in your mind's eye!
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Oct '08 14:091 edit
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    Writing down the move before you make it is actually forbidden in the FIDE rules now. Apparently some players were abusing it by writing down analysis on their scoresheets.

If you have the time, in critical positions it can be a good idea to get up, stand behind your opponent and look at the board from his point of view, trying to imagine it after you ha ...[text shortened]... rse to do this you have to recognise the critical position when it arises, not five moves later!
    thanks for correcting that. I was only quoting from Kotov's book, as I don't have one single OTB experience.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree