1. Standard memberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Moves
    10 Sep '12 11:56
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    Learn the rules already.

Yes, it's fair to draw by perpetual check.
    Yes, it's fair to draw by threefold repetition.
    Yes, it's fair to draw by stalemate.
    Yes, it's fair to take a pawn en passant.
    Yes, it's fair to move your rook through "check" when castling.

Learn the rules.

Richard
    Game 9293458 Hell ya it's fair. I sent a message to my opponent on my last move in this game saying "well played". It's all about being a team player in clan games. And a draw is always better than a loss. Part of winning a chess game is making sure you don't fall into a stalemate or 3 move repetition draw.

IT'S ALL PART OF THE GAME OF CHESS.
  2. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    10 Sep '12 13:15
    "... there is no disappointment of the defeat."

Capa once said he learned more from his defeats than from his victories. I guess he didn't need to learn much, as I think he only ever lost about 25 games not counting simuls).
  3. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    10 Sep '12 18:462 edits
    Learn the rules already.

Yes, it's fair to draw by perpetual check.
    Yes, it's fair to draw by threefold repetition.
    Yes, it's fair to draw by stalemate.
    Yes, it's fair to take a pawn en passant.
    Yes, it's fair to move your rook through "check" when castling.

Learn the rules.

Richard
    Explain how to move your rook through "check" when castling.
    I thought the King was the only piece that can be in "check" and other pieces are just attacked.
    Is this another FIDE rule?
  4. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    10 Sep '12 19:22
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    I thought the King was the only piece that can be in "check" and other pieces are just attacked.
    Thats why the check is in quotation.
  5. Standard memberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Moves
    10 Sep '12 19:23
    It usually happens on a queen side castle. You can still castle if your rook crosses a line of check as LONG AS YOUR KING does NOT. Lots of people don't know that. Hope that helps.
  6. Standard memberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Moves
    10 Sep '12 19:59
    Originally posted by moonbus
    "... there is no disappointment of the defeat."

Capa once said he learned more from his defeats than from his victories. I guess he didn't need to learn much, as I think he only ever lost about 25 games not counting simuls).
    ... there is no disappointment of the defeat." But if I can manage a draw in a losing position there is no defeat. It's a draw. It's really a victory. Some stalemates and three move repetition draws I've gotten have given me more joy than a win. As in the game I posted above.
  7. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    10 Sep '12 20:32
    Originally posted by KingDavid403
    It usually happens on a queen side castle. You can still castle if your rook crosses a line of check as LONG AS YOUR KING does NOT. Lots of people don't know that. Hope that helps.
    Okay, I understand what he is talking about now.
  8. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    12 Sep '12 14:18
    Game 9293458 Hell ya it's fair.
    And if a 1900+ player is capable of allowing stalemate, why shouldn't us lesser lights make use of it?

Richard
  9. Under Cover
    Moves
    12 Sep '12 14:23
    Originally posted by tim88
    by continuously checking your opponent,
    Yes
  10. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    12 Sep '12 14:24
    In fact, the rook moving through the attack is possible only on the queenside. However, it's also legal to castle when your rook starts out under attack. This, too, is something not nearly all players know.

Richard
  11. Under Cover
    Moves
    12 Sep '12 14:301 edit
    In fact, the rook moving through the attack is possible only on the queenside. However, it's also legal to castle when your rook starts out under attack. This, too, is something not nearly all players know.

Richard
    There's a little book out there entitled "Teach Yourself Better Chess" by William Hartston. It's a one page/lesson format, and isn't bad for what it is. One of the one-page lessons is learning to understand that Castling is a Rook move, not just a King move. It's a simple but important distinction.
  12. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    12 Sep '12 15:44
    Originally posted by Maxwell Smart
    There's a little book out there entitled "Teach Yourself Better Chess" by William Hartston. It's a one page/lesson format, and isn't bad for what it is. One of the one-page lessons is learning to understand that Castling is a Rook move, not just a King move. It's a simple but important distinction.
    On RHP, castling is moving the King 2 squares horizontally. You don't move the Rook because it moves automatically once the King move is made. In castling the Rook involved is never given the opportunity to move through an attack. The Rook just disappears and reappears on the opposite side of the castled King. 😏
  13. Under Cover
    Moves
    12 Sep '12 15:46
    On RHP, castling is moving the King 2 squares horizontally. You don't move the Rook because it moves automatically once the King move is made. In castling the Rook involved is never given the opportunity to move through an attack. The Rook just disappears and reappears on the opposite side of the castled King. 😏
    So then we can all claim to be amateur magicians! Unless of course you are a professional magician, in which case we still don't know for sure what you do for a living... πŸ˜‰
  14. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    12 Sep '12 16:20
    Originally posted by Maxwell Smart
    So then we can all claim to be amateur magicians! Unless of course you are a professional magician, in which case we still don't know for sure what you do for a living... πŸ˜‰
    I am retired and too old and feeble to work now. However, there is no magic involved. That is just the way the game is for everyone. 😏
  15. Under Cover
    Moves
    12 Sep '12 16:39
    I am retired and too old and feeble to work now. However, there is no magic involved. That is just the way the game is for everyone. 😏
    You said the Rook just "disappears and reappears"

Sounds like magic to me.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree