1. Joined
    28 Dec '05
    Moves
    11 Apr '06 20:15
    What exactly are the rules about forcing a draw through repetition of moves using the same piece? Thanks.
  2. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    11 Apr '06 20:17
    The same piece has nothing to do with it. If winthin a game, the same position occurs 3 times (all pieces in the same place, all opportunitites for en passant the same) then the person who just moved into the position may claim a draw.
  3. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    11 Apr '06 20:40
    Originally posted by zebano
    The same piece has nothing to do with it. If winthin a game, the same position occurs 3 times (all pieces in the same place, all opportunitites for en passant the same) then the person who just moved into the position may claim a draw.
    Don't forget temporary and permanent denial of castling rights being the same.
  4. Joined
    28 Dec '05
    Moves
    12 Apr '06 04:45
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    Don't forget temporary and permanent denial of castling rights being the same.
    How could the position be the same and the temporary denial of castling rights be different?
  5. Standard memberKirwan
    Mel Kirwan
    Hauxton
    Moves
    12 Apr '06 05:21
    Originally posted by o0obruceleeo0o
    How could the position be the same and the temporary denial of castling rights be different?
    It doesn't have to be be three consecutive moves. Same position can occor after moves 25, 28, and 42 for instance. King or rook may have moved in the meantime.
    Also you must state your intention to play the move, claim the draw and NOT actually play it until it is verified.
  6. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    12 Apr '06 05:27
    If a king moves from e8 to e7 and back to e8, the position is the same but he has lost his castling rights.
  7. Joined
    28 Dec '05
    Moves
    12 Apr '06 06:04
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    If a king moves from e8 to e7 and back to e8, the position is the same but he has lost his castling rights.
    That's permanent denial though... Temporary denial is when the king would be moving through a check for instance (at least thats how I understand it). He said permanent and temporary...
  8. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    12 Apr '06 07:17
    That's permanent denial though... Temporary denial is when the king would be moving through a check for instance (at least thats how I understand it). He said permanent and temporary...
    And he also said: "Don't forget temporary and permanent denial of castling rights being the same."

The rules says three exactly same positions gives draw, castling rights beeing a part of a the position.
  9. Joined
    28 Dec '05
    Moves
    12 Apr '06 07:47
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    And he also said: "Don't forget temporary and permanent denial of castling rights being the same."

The rules says three exactly same positions gives draw, castling rights beeing a part of a the position.
    Yes, I understand the how permanent denial of castling rights matters, because of the example you gave. But my question was how would temporary denial of castling rights differ in the same position?

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't permanent denial of castling rights when the king or rook have moved. And temporary denial of castling rights is when the king is in check or would move through check when castling.
  10. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    12 Apr '06 08:10
    Yes, I understand the how permanent denial of castling rights matters, because of the example you gave. But my question was how would temporary denial of castling rights differ in the same position?

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't permanent denial of castling rights when the king or rook have moved. And temporary denial of castling rights is when the king is in check or would move through check when castling.
    I've never encounter the terms before, permanent nor temporary denials of castling, but I think I have a pretty good idea what they suppose to mean.

We agree of permanent castling. Two exactly the same positions where only permanent castling differs, then draw is not possible.

But when is two positions exactly the same if temporary castling rights differ? I don't think it is even possible to construct such a position so this rule would apply.

Anyway - this kind of situation when one has to deal with castling rights, permanent or temporary ones, are extremely rare. What we talk about now is just the principle and nothing else.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree