Frankenstein-Dracula Variation in the Vienna Game

Frankenstein-Dracula Variation in the Vienna Game

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
20 Feb 10

Has anyone read this book by Eric Schiller? Any information appreciated.

MR

Moves
20 Feb 10

Originally posted by dirtysniper
Has anyone read this book by Eric Schiller? Any information appreciated.
Apparently Carsten Hansen did back in 2000:

http://www.chesscafe.com/text/hansen15.txt

e4

Moves
20 Feb 10

Don't go near it. Both sides are losing.

Do you really want to get involved in this. Game 5790180

p

Moves
20 Feb 10
1 edit

The book is not very good. As for the variation, it's a lot of fun. I play it in blitz and always get a real fight. I'd be afraid to play it in a postal game though. The database age has taken a lot of fun out of the old variations. Also, when I analyzed it and played it, engines weren't as well developed/every Tom, Dick, and Harry didn't use one (for opening analysis and such). I can't speak for how well the variation holds, but it's cetrainly an exciting double edged variation. My experience from the white side is that you have to play passively for a long time and then consolidate. From the black side, you get a nice initiative with a lot of early threats. The problem is that if you don't keep the fire going and ease up for a move or two, white usually wiggles out. There is one more thing I should point out. Beware of h4 by white! When he plays this, he is threatening the cheeky Bg5 (black Qe7, Kd8) in the main line. 🙂

d

Moves
20 Feb 10

I've just played it without any success, but it's definitely a fun line creating very unbalanced positions. There must be a lot of theory, but it seems to me that both sides have several plausible ways to mobilise after the initial N raid to a8, so any game is likely to leave the beaten track quite quickly.

Is anyone interested in a thematic tournament?