1. Joined
    29 Apr '10
    Moves
    29 Apr '10 01:32
    Does anyone know of free websites that cover the openings, maybe 10 moves deep and explain the ideas behind the moves? I've found plenty of openings and games with no explanation of moves, but I need something that dumbs it down a little so I can understand the "why" of the opening.
  2. Joined
    29 Apr '10
    Moves
    29 Apr '10 01:43
    I've used chessgames.com but it lacks in analysis and just has games that are hard to understand most of the time.
  3. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    29 Apr '10 01:581 edit
    Originally posted by Three Ball Juggling
    Does anyone know of free websites that cover the openings, maybe 10 moves deep and explain the ideas behind the moves? I've found plenty of openings and games with no explanation of moves, but I need something that dumbs it down a little so I can understand the "why" of the opening.
    Maxacre42 referred me to this site, and I saved it as a favorite. I think it's worth checking to see if it has some of what you are seeking:

http://www.expert-chess-strategies.com/index.html

Paul
  4. Joined
    29 Apr '10
    Moves
    29 Apr '10 02:02
    That is exactly what I meant. Thanks.
  5. Joined
    29 Apr '10
    Moves
    29 Apr '10 02:05
    ...and I just learned of youtube chess. Thanks.
  6. Standard membertheonecolin
    Theonecolin
    London
    Moves
    29 Apr '10 10:28
    ...and I just learned of youtube chess. Thanks.
    I have too admit youtube has really helped me , there are loads of clips of openings etc all explained in quite good detail , also they explain "why" , like you i found many websites e.g 365 chess , which gave hundreds of games and openings but they lacked the explaination of "why" . An example of how youtube has helped me recently is i was looking to play an opening " Old Benoni" against 1 d4 - Queens pawn - i lacked a confident response v this opening , the books were fine as a start , but the video clips really brought this to life , incidently there was a great trap on one clip which i have manged to exploit , so for me well worth looking at.
  7. Russ's Pocket
    Moves
    29 Apr '10 14:21
    Wiki

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree