French defence with 2.f4

French defence with 2.f4

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S

Moves
28 Oct 08

This was suggested to me by the top player at my club after (another!) OTB loss against the bloody FD.
I have tried the advance and the exchange. Strangely enough the exchange has proven better for me.
The guy at my club said that 2.f4 stops most of Black's plans almost straight away & Black must think for himself.

Any opinions?

S

Moves
28 Oct 08

One so-called main line seems to go:
1.e4 e6 2.f4 d5 3.e5 c5 4.Nf3 Nc6 5.c3 Nh6 6.d4 Qb6
Which I must admit does not look that appealing to me.

K
Chess Warrior

Riga

Moves
28 Oct 08

Interesting game by one of the most original GMs - Vadim Zvjaginsev

JoL
Curb Your Enthusiasm

London

Moves
28 Oct 08
1 edit

Originally posted by Squelchbelch
This was suggested to me by the top player at my club after (another!) OTB loss against the bloody FD.
Hi Squelch.

My opinion as a long time French Player, for what its worth, is that 2. f4 is a quite ordinary move. I'd love to face it more often. Who's that "top player" recommending it? Is he a French player trying to spread disinformation about what works out as a good line against it so we Frenchies can clean up???? ;-)

I don't understand the 'black must think for himself' idea. Black gets a good game playing moves he'd like to play anyway - the exact line you found. Black's knight is coming to f5 and White's centre falls apart.

Here's an example of Morphy playing the French and creaming White after 2. f4

http://streathambrixtonchess.blogspot.com/2008/04/morphy-plays-french.html

If you like playing the exchange why not continue to play that? It's a much more dynamic line that a lot of club players seem to realise. It's only dull if you want it to be.

That said, if you want an objective advantage against the French you will just have to bite the bullet and do some preparation in the main lines.

Or you can give up 1. e4 :-)

S

Moves
28 Oct 08
1 edit

Originally posted by JonathanB of London
Hi Squelch.

My opinion as a long time French Player, for what its worth, is that 2. f4 is a quite ordinary move. I'd love to face it more often. Who's that "top player" recommending it? Is he a French player trying to spread disinformation about what works out as a good line against it so we Frenchies can clean up???? ;-)

I don't unders e bullet and do some preparation in the main lines.

Or you can give up 1. e4 :-)
Ok thanks.
I think the exchange can be quite tasty, especially if you can get in c4 reasonably quickly & it doesn't get too symmetrical.

I think what my club colleague meant is that 2.f4 is quite playable at my level (he is about 50-60 ECF points above me) and may throw a few players who are used to the advance or exchange variations.

I looked at the line above and thought that those Black moves are common anyway, so I may as well stick to the exchange. I did after all beat an ECF 117 last season with it & drew against an ECF 97.

Unfortunately I can't give up on 1.e4 - that's out of the question 😛

ps.
I'm off out now to play in the knock-out league against Horsham 1 just in case anyone thinks I'm ignoring them.
No doubt I will be on board 6 & playing against an ECF 150+... 🙄

JoL
Curb Your Enthusiasm

London

Moves
28 Oct 08

Originally posted by Squelchbelch
I think what my club colleague meant is that 2.f4 is quite playable at my level (he is about 50-60 ECF points above me) and may throw a few players who are used to the advance or exchange variations.
Well it's definitely playable I'd say. I don't thik it gives White a disadvantage but I don't think with vaguely sensinble play from Black that 2. f4 will lead to any kind of edge for White either.