Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

1. Standard member wittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    01 Aug '07 02:06 / 2 edits
    I was wondering if anyone here plays the French Defense Franco-Benoni Variation with any frequency and/or success. Would you mind sharing you thoughts about it?

1. e4 e6 2. d4 c5

I have considered playing it, but it seems like a position that could easily transpose into either a French Defense Advance Variation or an Open Siclian.
  2. 01 Aug '07 12:49
    I recommend 3.d5, transposing into some sort of Benoni without c4. If 3. ... Nf6, then 4.Nc3, where 4. ... exd5 allows 5.e5!
  3. 02 Aug '07 01:09
    Originally posted by wittywonka
    I was wondering if anyone here plays the French Defense Franco-Benoni Variation with any frequency and/or success. Would you mind sharing you thoughts about it?

1. e4 e6 2. d4 c5

[fen]rnbqkbnr/pp1p1ppp/4p3/2p5/3PP3/8/PPP2PPP/RNBQKBNR[/fen]

I have considered playing it, but it seems like a position that could easily transpose into either a French Defense Advance Variation or an Open Siclian.
    Andy Soltis provides a complete Black repertoire with 1...e6 and 2...c5 in his book "The Franco-Benoni Defense."

It is available at http://www.labatechess.com
  4. 02 Aug '07 07:08
    some sicilian players play that move order to avoid the grand prix attack. i've run into it a couple of times.
  5. 02 Aug '07 13:13
    Originally posted by badivan1
    I recommend 3.d5, transposing into some sort of Benoni without c4. If 3. ... Nf6, then 4.Nc3, where 4. ... exd5 allows 5.e5!
    Yes, 3.d5+= just about sums it up!