1. UK
    Moves
    23 Apr '20 22:22
    Hey guys I have fritz 15 is it worth upgrading to 17 with fat fritz? Are the extra tools useful to help me better understand opening? And the positions /ideas
  2. Subscribermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    24 Apr '20 18:171 edit
    @peter-ashley-2 said
    Hey guys I have fritz 15 is it worth upgrading to 17 with fat fritz? Are the extra tools useful to help me better understand opening? And the positions /ideas
    Sorry, I can't speak for fat fritz, but you might want to consider using all the free instructional tools and exercises on chess.com and lichess.org before you spend your money on anything else. I've been looking into these for the last few weeks, and am amazed at how much they have to offer.
  3. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    25 Apr '20 08:00
    @Peter-Ashley-2

I just use SCID for everything. What features does Fritz have that help you learn openings that you can't do on your own?
  4. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    25 Apr '20 10:43
    @tomtom232 said
    @Peter-Ashley-2

I just use SCID for everything. What features does Fritz have that help you learn openings that you can't do on your own?
    I have the same. I think the commercial tools have more features, but I don't see any huge value in them since you probably get more value just watching some videos on YouTube for free. It's possible to assemble a database from various free databases scattered around on the internet and keep it up to date with TWIC. So by the time you have SCID with Crafty and/or Stockfish and a database really all you're missing are Grandmaster annotations.
  5. SubscriberChris Guffoggonline
    Alekhine's Gun
    🤔 Bolton
    Moves
    25 Apr '20 15:271 edit
    Book's & two practice board's is always an option. The more your not at the table your face to face skill. Friendly/Club/County/Country etc could have a physiological change on players...
  6. Subscribermlb62
    mlb62
    Moves
    26 Apr '20 02:25
    Isn't Leela Chess Zero the best of all ? I've heard it's extremely difficult to install.
  7. Subscribermlb62
    mlb62
    Moves
    26 Apr '20 14:07
    @tomtom232 said
    @Peter-Ashley-2

hi what is SCID ?
  8. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    28 Apr '20 15:13
    @ogb

Shane's Chess Information Database. It's a free alternative to other paid software like ChessBase.
  9. Subscribermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    02 May '20 06:531 edit
    @tomtom232 said
    @ogb

Shane's Chess Information Database. It's a free alternative to other paid software like ChessBase.
    Thank You. I've just started to use this site. As I said earlier, there is a lot of excellent "free" resources available on the internet. I'm not sure why my earlier post earned 2 thumbs down.
  10. SubscriberChris Guffoggonline
    Alekhine's Gun
    🤔 Bolton
    Moves
    03 May '20 18:59
    @mchill said
    Thank You. I've just started to use this site. As I said earlier, there is a lot of excellent "free" resources available on the internet. I'm not sure why my earlier post earned 2 thumbs down.
    Maybe your growing your hair?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree