1. Seattle
    Moves
    27 Aug '07 05:47
    I really shouldnt let this line do this to me. I know I will get flamed for it. After all, I know it's "inferior". I know that this line rarely comes up in GM games, but I have run into it OTB, so I came up with this idea. And it frustrates me, because I know its bad, but I can't seem to take my eyes away from it. Tell me what you guys think:

1.d4 d5
    2. Nf3 Bg4
    3. Ne5

My thinking is that white then either trades off his knight on a square of black's choosing. or he gets to have some fun with a kingside pawn storm if black doesnt fully retreat the bishop immediatly, and eventually trade off the knight for the bishop. Most likely white would castle queenside and play on the kingside where he has more space and/or open lines.
    Also, if Nf6 to defend, then white plays plays Nxg4, and after Nxg4, then e4, and the action begins.
  2. Standard memberKorch
    Chess Warrior
    Riga
    Moves
    27 Aug '07 06:34
    Originally posted by c guy1
    I really shouldnt let this line do this to me. I know I will get flamed for it. After all, I know it's "inferior". I know that this line rarely comes up in GM games, but I have run into it OTB, so I came up with this idea. And it frustrates me, because I know its bad, but I can't seem to take my eyes away from it. Tell me what you guys think:

1.d4 d5 ...[text shortened]... Nf6 to defend, then white plays plays Nxg4, and after Nxg4, then e4, and the action begins.
    3.Ne5 is not bad idea.
  3. Standard membernajdorfslayer
    The Ever Living
    Third Earth
    Moves
    27 Aug '07 09:141 edit

1.d4 d5 Nf6 to defend, then white plays plays Nxg4, and after Nxg4, then e4, and the action begins.
    I agree with Korch 3.Ne5 is the BEST move in the position and is recomended in An Opening for White according to Kramnik (Volume 4).
    1.Nf3 d5 2.d4 Bg4 3.Ne5!

I have faced it a few times myself OTB as White and have always achieved good positions.
  4. Standard memberDutch Defense
    Stealer of Souls
    Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Aug '07 13:371 edit

1.d4 d5 Nf6 to defend, then white plays plays Nxg4, and after Nxg4, then e4, and the action begins.
    Here's the starting position:

5. Seattle
    Moves
    27 Aug '07 14:43
    hmmm, well does anyone wana play a un/rated game or two with me?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree