1. Joined
    20 Jan '20
    Moves
    03 Feb '20 09:15
    I have just finished my first game. I sacrificed a pawn for a promising position with which I would have been quite happy over the board, but my opponent defended doggedly with the help of plenty of analysis and in the end the extra pawn was decisive. My question to experienced on-line players is this: As a general rule are gambits in on line play inadvisable?
    Game 13586668
  2. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    03 Feb '20 12:212 edits
    @webwiz said
    I have just finished my first game. I sacrificed a pawn for a promising position with which I would have been quite happy over the board, but my opponent defended doggedly with the help of plenty of analysis and in the end the extra pawn was decisive. My question to experienced on-line players is this: As a general rule are gambits in on line play inadvisable?
    Game 13586668
    The chess world is full of gambits that have been less than successful, so don't give up on them, that said, it's important to 1. Have a very clear idea of why you're sacrificing the material, and 2. What your plan of attack is afterward. If you don't have these, JMHO - I'd advise against it. Hope this helps. 🙂

In looking at your game, you seem to have a bit of counterplay left, your down a pawn, but with both sets of rooks on the board you still have some chances to pull even. In the future you might consider staying in the game a bit longer, you might lose, but it can sharpen your endgame play.
  3. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    03 Feb '20 14:31
    @webwiz said
    Game 13586668
    The analysis feature is one of the things that makes it easier to play here than otb.
    You can "try out" all sorts of moves and responses without having to think them through.
    I don't think sacrifices are any different in that respect from any other moves
    I have often thought that the analise feature should be restricted to going back over the game(essential because we play so many concurrent games), but have never suggested it
  4. Joined
    23 Jan '20
    Moves
    03 Feb '20 22:041 edit
    In correspondence chess I would say no don’t play like that eh?
    But if your opponent has a lot of games going and moves fast then yes go ahead.
    Some players just play and some actually look up openings and the best lines and take their time eh?
  5. santa cruz, ca.
    Moves
    03 Feb '20 22:19
    @webwiz said
    Game 13586668
    I think gambits are very playable
    everything depends on the strength of your opponent
    I play the King's Gambit all the time
    gambit's add a little spice to the game
  6. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    04 Feb '20 00:58
    @webwiz said
    Game 13586668
    In my opinion you resigned too early. Black has a plus, but it is less than the value of a whole pawn.

Beliavsky and Mikhalchishin cover the single rook version of this ending in their excellent book Winning Endgame Technique, and I think the extra set of rooks benefits the defender here.

Even if you had lost after playing on, the ending would be very valuable for analysis with a computer after the fact. It's excellent endgame practice that would pay dividends in your next OTB tournament.
  7. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    04 Feb '20 02:53
    @webwiz said
    Game 13586668
    I'm admittedly biased ... what with running Club 236 and all, but...

I think, for me, playing thematic gambit tourneys forced me into learning to use advantages other than material, such as space, development, weak enemy K position, etc. It forces you to think carefully about how to keep the pressure on, because you will probably lose if you play lazy and let the opponent defend.

Material is the most common path to a winning advantage, but the strongest players are able to avail themselves of many different types of advantages.
  8. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    04 Feb '20 11:37
    @bigdoggproblem said
    I'm admittedly biased ... what with running Club 236 and all, but...

I think, for me, playing thematic gambit tourneys forced me into learning to use advantages other than material, such as space, development, weak enemy K position, etc. It forces you to think carefully about how to keep the pressure on, because you will probably lose if you play ...[text shortened]... ntage, but the strongest players are able to avail themselves of many different types of advantages.
    I think, for me, playing thematic gambit tourneys forced me into learning to use advantages other than material.

Interesting thought. It's amazing how easy we can slide into a comfortable habit that holds back our development.
  9. Joined
    16 Aug '15
    Moves
    05 Feb '20 02:49
    @webwiz
    I've played The Scotch Gambit for decades
  10. Joined
    09 Jul '16
    Moves
    05 Feb '20 02:55
    Before computers ruined correspondence chess, gambits were very commonly played in correspondence games. Most of the theory in some opening lines, for example the Traxler, was based on correspondence games.
  11. Joined
    03 Jul '13
    Moves
    05 Feb '20 21:091 edit
    @mynameisklint said
    Before computers ruined correspondence chess, gambits were very commonly played in correspondence games. Most of the theory in some opening lines, for example the Traxler, was based on correspondence games.
    That’s an interesting point.
    Some gambit opening lines are so complex that even the best minds have to work hard to find the best moves.
    Now with computers, the most accurate defence to the most complex position can be found in the time it takes to boil the kettle.
    This analysis then ends up in books on opening theory, which people may be using. Takes some of the fun out of it, I think.
  12. SubscriberEarl of Trumps
    Pawn Whisperer
    My Kingdom fora Pawn
    Moves
    08 Feb '20 01:16
    @webwiz said
    Game 13586668
    I wouldn't have resigned. R+p v R is typically a draw
  13. SubscriberChris Guffogg
    Alekhine's Gun
    🤔 Bolton
    Moves
    08 Feb '20 04:19
    Knowledge gives the 'Gut' instinct.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree