1. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    20 Jun '06 18:33
    As a beginner I would be obliged if someone would explain why I was unable to castle (playing white).
  2. Standard memberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Moves
    20 Jun '06 18:36
  3. The sky
    Moves
    20 Jun '06 18:37
    Originally posted by Guzzler
    As a beginner I would be obliged if someone would explain why I was unable to castle (playing white).
    You are not allowed to castle when your king is in check.
  4. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    20 Jun '06 18:38
    Thank you
  5. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    20 Jun '06 18:40
    You can't castle if:

1) You are in check.
    2) You have previously moved your king or the rook you want to castle with.
    3) One of the squares your king passes through or ends up on is attacked.

I believe that the rules have been modified so that you also can't castle with a promoted rook if you promote a pawn on the e-file to a rook, even though you could argue that this rook hasn't moved. This, of course, is an elephant.
  6. Standard membercoentje
    Plop!
    /dev/null
    Moves
    20 Jun '06 18:52
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    I believe that the rules have been modified so that you also can't castle with a promoted rook if you promote a pawn on the e-file to a rook, even though you could argue that this rook hasn't moved. This, of course, is an elephant.[/b]
    Wouldn't that rook be on the other side of the board and make it hard to castle in that way, thus making this addition on the rules a little more than needed 😉
  7. The sky
    Moves
    20 Jun '06 19:28
    Originally posted by coentje
    Wouldn't that rook be on the other side of the board and make it hard to castle in that way, thus making this addition on the rules a little more than needed 😉
    What about White promoting an a- or h-pawn to a black rook and Black castling with it? 😉
  8. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    20 Jun '06 20:23
    Originally posted by coentje
    Apparently in 1903 or 1904, in a Master's game, one of the players castled using a promoted pawn turned into a rook on e8 and a king on e1.

The Rook ended up on e2 and the King on e3.

Because the Rook on e8 and the King on e1 had never moved they were able to castle under the rules as written at the time. This was an unintended consequence of a poorly written rule and the rule was quickly re-written.

I would love to see the game in question, as it is hard to imagine the situation where it would make sense.
  9. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    20 Jun '06 20:26
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    What about White promoting an a- or h-pawn to a black rook and Black castling with it? 😉
    At about the same time, the promotion rule was re-written. Some one promoted their pawn into a Knight of the opposite color. Again, I would love to see the game in question.

Based on those two games, then yes your castling with a rook that used to be your opponents pawn would be an unintended, but legal, consequence of the old rules.
  10. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    21 Jun '06 00:15
    I'm sure I saw a chess problem once where the key move was e8=R and then mate was forced a few moves later by o-o, o-o-o or o-o-o-o! (the last one moving the king two squares towards the rook on e8, i.e. to e3, and the rook moving the other side of the king, i.e. to e2).
  11. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    21 Jun '06 01:01
    I'm sure I saw a chess problem once where the key move was e8=R and then mate was forced a few moves later by o-o, o-o-o or o-o-o-o! (the last one moving the king two squares towards the rook on e8, i.e. to e3, and the rook moving the other side of the king, i.e. to e2).
    That sounds like the game. Do you remember where you saw it?
  12. Standard membercoentje
    Plop!
    /dev/null
    Moves
    21 Jun '06 01:31
    Originally posted by Red Night
    At about the same time, the promotion rule was re-written. Some one promoted their pawn into a Knight of the opposite color. Again, I would love to see the game in question.

Based on those two games, then yes your castling with a rook that used to be your opponents pawn would be an unintended, but legal, consequence of the old rules.
    I would love to see that game too 🙂
  13. Standard membercoentje
    Plop!
    /dev/null
    Moves
    21 Jun '06 01:32
    I thought i knew all the castling rules, but i see new ones are invented everyday, maybe i should study a little because the 0-0-0-0 is completely unknown to me 😉 can we invent another one like 0-0-1-0-0 and include a pawn in castling, lol
  14. Dublin
    Moves
    21 Jun '06 13:28
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    Black would be in check though so that wouldn't work. 😀
  15. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    21 Jun '06 13:33
    Originally posted by Red Night
    That sounds like the game. Do you remember where you saw it?
    Ok. I've found it. I'll just set up a diagram and tidy up the notes and then I'll post it here.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree