Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. 23 Nov '12 23:43
    What's the longest a game has gone on for???

    By that I mean how many moves, not time.
  2. 24 Nov '12 00:12
    I believe it's this one (a 269 move draw):
    http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1268705
  3. 24 Nov '12 00:16
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    I believe it's this one (a 269 move draw):
    http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1268705
    Wow. That must have gone on for quite a while.
  4. Standard member RJHinds
    The Near Genius
    24 Nov '12 00:41
    They must have ignored the 50 move rule.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fifty-move_rule
  5. 24 Nov '12 00:47
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    They must have ignored the 50 move rule.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fifty-move_rule
    Should have sent in General Patton.

    No way he'd carry on for over 200 moves.
  6. Standard member RJHinds
    The Near Genius
    24 Nov '12 00:53 / 1 edit
    I found this interesting for shortest tournament games.

    "A game between Fischer and Oscar Panno, played at the Palma de Mallorca Interzonal 1970, went 1. c4 resigns. Panno refused to play to protest the organizers' rescheduling of the game to accommodate Fischer's desire not to play on his religion's Sabbath. Panno was not present when the game was to begin. Fischer waited ten minutes before making his move and went to get Panno to convince him to play. Fifty-two minutes had elapsed on Panno's clock before he came to the board and resigned (Brady 1973, p. 179) (Wade & O'Connell 1973, pp. 344, 410). (At the time, an absence of sixty minutes resulted in a forfeit (Brady 1973, p. 245).)"

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_world_records_in_chess

    Perhaps Panno thought Fischer was cheating.
  7. 24 Nov '12 01:10
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    I found this interesting for shortest tournament games.

    "A game between Fischer and Oscar Panno, played at the Palma de Mallorca Interzonal 1970, went 1. c4 resigns. Panno refused to play to protest the organizers' rescheduling of the game to accommodate Fischer's desire not to play on his religion's Sabbath. Panno was not present when the game was to beg ...[text shortened]... ia.org/wiki/List_of_world_records_in_chess

    Perhaps Panno thought Fischer was cheating.
    That's extraordinary.

    I am very surprised that an accommodation could not have been reached.