1. Joined
    29 Jan '07
    Moves
    17 Dec '07 08:56
    i would appreciate it if a few good players on here could take the time and tell me what i did wrong with this game....

could someone advise me how i should have played the game once i took the queen...?

thanks

Game 4300704
  2. SubscriberSmookieP
    Lead, Follow, or..
    Saint Petersburg, FL
    Moves
    17 Dec '07 09:09
    Originally posted by eatmybishop
    i would appreciate it if a few good players on here could take the time and tell me what i did wrong with this game....

could someone advise me how i should have played the game once i took the queen...?

thanks

Game 4300704
    Because around move 36 you put your queen in line. You made a tactical error.
  3. Standard memberJonathanB of London
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    London
    Moves
    17 Dec '07 09:16

thanks

Game 4300704
    Not that I consider myself a 'good' player but...

contrary to the previous bod (who may well also be right for all I know I haven't looked that far yet) I'd say you could look much earlier.

He played 2. Bc4 and you pretty much justified that by responding 2. ... e5 which gives you a weakness on d5 and permanently opens the c4-f7 diagonal.

Probably better was 2. ... e6 (or putting the pawn there on some subsequent move) and now the Bishop has no play on c4 and sooner or later he'll lose time because he'll have to move it again (say if you follow up with ... a6 and ... b5).

Not that I'm saying 2. ... e5 gives you a lost game - of course it doesn't - but we do end up in positions that are lost through a bunch of these little mistakes added together.

It's easy to jump to the 'one off tactical error' explanation but usually the truth is elsewhere in my experience.
  4. Standard memberJonathanB of London
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    London
    Moves
    17 Dec '07 09:23
    and then after you won the queen you do seem to fanny about somewhat with your knight and bishop while your opponent builds up an attack on the k-side.

I'm sure with the material advantage you should still be able to defend this but you need to get your pieces into the game. As the guy above says tactical errors play a part too ... but the origins of White's kingside attack lay in the opening.

Look at the position after about move 11 a while before you win the queen. He's got good attacking potential there already. Also, the way his knight lands on d5 and causes you trouble throughout the game proves the point I made above about ... e5 on move 2.
  5. Joined
    29 Jan '07
    Moves
    17 Dec '07 10:16
    Originally posted by JonathanB of London
    and then after you won the queen you do seem to fanny about somewhat with your knight and bishop while your opponent builds up an attack on the k-side.

I'm sure with the material advantage you should still be able to defend this but you need to get your pieces into the game. As the guy above says tactical errors play a part too ... but the or ...[text shortened]... causes you trouble throughout the game proves the point I made above about ... e5 on move 2.
    yes, you are right.... once the queen was taken i fell into the trap of thinking the game was won.... my plan was to simply trade piece for piece and keep the queen.... all credit to the player... he just wouldnt let me do that, which eventually forced me into making costly mistakes...
  6. Standard memberJonathanB of London
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    London
    Moves
    17 Dec '07 12:30
    yes, you are right.... once the queen was taken i fell into the trap of thinking the game was won
    All credit to you for recognising this (i.e. taking responsibility) rather than blaming misfortune (oh i missed this tactic or that tactic).

Assuming a game will win itself is a sure fire way to lose and its something I'm too often guilty of myself.
  7. Joined
    12 Feb '05
    Moves
    17 Dec '07 14:00

thanks

Game 4300704
    I think you made a strategical blunder with 33. ..g5?? which opened up your king's position. Three moves later white already had a winning attack.

To exploit a material advantage you either need to trade off or open the position up so you can bring your extra material into play. Probably a good start is 33. ..g6!, with the threat 34. ..gxf5 35. exf5? e4+! 36. dxe4 Bxc3 37. Nxc3? Qd3+ 38. Kf4 Qe3#.
    So white's best response is 34. fxg6, but after 34. ..fxg6 the f-file (of the white king) is opened so you can bring your rooks into the game.
    (Also, 35. Nxf6+ seems like a deadly double check but after 35. ..Kg7 the knight is pinned and black wins it back with advantage the next move.)
  8. Joined
    29 Jan '07
    Moves
    17 Dec '07 16:25
    Originally posted by schakuhr
    I think you made a strategical blunder with 33. ..g5?? which opened up your king's position. Three moves later white already had a winning attack.

To exploit a material advantage you either need to trade off or open the position up so you can bring your extra material into play. Probably a good start is 33. ..g6!, with the threat 34. ..gxf5 35. exf5? e4+ ...[text shortened]... but after 35. ..Kg7 the knight is pinned and black wins it back with advantage the next move.)
    yes, 33 - g5 was a bad mistake, i can see that now... i just couldnt get the rooks or queen into play, i tried... learnt my lesson, no point in being a queen up if you just have her sitting there, doing very little
  9. Standard memberJonathanB of London
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    London
    Moves
    17 Dec '07 16:44
    ..., no point in being a queen up if you just have her sitting there, doing very little
    doing the ironing perhaps?
  10. Joined
    01 Dec '07
    Moves
    17 Dec '07 18:291 edit
    You kept moving the same peices after you took the Queen, and you left a great attacking position. You want your peices in your opponents space when you have a piece advantage (especially an advantage as big as the one you had). And you pretty much didn't use your Queen anyway, so it's not like he was down a Queen

Edit: you moved the Bishop and the Knight about 20 times, while your oppenent was developing the quality of his peices
  11. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    17 Dec '07 21:29

thanks

Game 4300704
    Move 17 I would have taken the F pawn and started swapping. I think you would have been safe.
  12. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    17 Dec '07 22:591 edit

thanks

Game 4300704
    I like 16...Nxh2!?

17.Rxh2 Bxg3+ and 17.gxh4 Nf3+ both win a bit more material while paving the way for bQ to raid the Kingside.

17.Rg2 is probably best, although after 17...Nf3+ 18.Kf2 Qxh4+ followed by ...exf4, Black has 3 pawns for the piece and again Black has activated the Queen in a big way.
  13. Joined
    12 May '07
    Moves
    18 Dec '07 00:15
    yeah 17...exf pawn then bishop takes knight on c3 and posting the queen on f6
  14. Joined
    29 Jan '07
    Moves
    18 Dec '07 13:27
    thanks for the help
  15. Joined
    23 Sep '07
    Moves
    25 Dec '07 08:42
    holy thread resurrection batman.. yes, now that we got past that.

on move 16. play Nxh2
    if he takes your bishop on h4, you can either take the pawn with your queen with check or move your knight from h2 to f3 forking the king and rook.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree