Generally how long do you spend on each move

Generally how long do you spend on each move

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Z

Moves
13 Nov 06

Originally posted by HomerJSimpson
Why bother to do that when you have the analyze board feature
I set up positions on real boards quite a lot actually - and blunder a lot less that way! I think I just find it easier to see the game that way, if that makes any sense - I learnt on a real board, and 2D isn't as easy for my brain!

nunquam perdo

Washington, DC

Moves
13 Nov 06

Originally posted by Zeddicus
I set up positions on real boards quite a lot actually - and blunder a lot less that way! I think I just find it easier to see the game that way, if that makes any sense - I learnt on a real board, and 2D isn't as easy for my brain!
I set up a real board for tough positions too.

Most times I move w/o using a real board or the analysis board but it is good to set up a real board if you are interested in having RHP improve your OTB skills.

o
onyx2007

watching you...

Moves
13 Nov 06

Originally posted by Zeddicus
bingo! I also find it easier to visualise things in 3d, hard to explain really, just have a better feel for the game and more 'respect' for the position. As I say - hard to explain.

and fair play to wormwood taking such time & effort on moves, I wish I had that sort of patience man!

m

Moves
13 Nov 06

i find it so much easier on 2-d to see moves. i learnt on 3d boards, but still find it a lot easier on 2-d. i blunder less on 3-d, but that is because im focused on the game and not making bullet-chess-moves on an internet site

I

Moves
13 Nov 06

Unless there is a really obvious move or my opponent has gone into a line I've already analysed then I will usually play around on the analysis board for a few minutes. In complicated positions I still won't move after that but instead go and do something else for a while and then come back and repeat the process to see if I missed anything the first time.

I rarely move in 5 seconds or less when playing 20 minute games on FICS.

w

Moves
13 Nov 06

I take about 10 minutes-1 hour for most moves, but obviously if the move is obvious, only 5 mins, making sure it really is obvious... 5 seconds for a forced move only.

t
King of the Ashes

Trying to rise ....

Moves
13 Nov 06

I take exactly as long as necessary. Sometimes I stare at a position for 10 min or so, take some notes, and then walk away for a while to do something else. Then maybe an hour later I come back and examine the position again for another 10 min. If I agree with the notes I made earlier, then I usually make that move. Would this be taking 20 min to make my move or 80 min?

And it's not about being patient. What happens when you finish a game? You probably just sign up for at least one more game, so it's not like you got any closer to the end of some chess quest. Chess is continuous--might as well make a good move and add to the beauty of the game.

C

Moves
13 Nov 06

1-5 seconds

z

Moves
13 Nov 06

It all depends :-

OTB - 2 minutes avg but upto 20 mins in difficult positions. Make full use of opponents time pressure.

CC per move - upto half an hour. Tiredness is my biggest enemy as I have suffered a timeout/made a bad move due to being tired.

Blitz sites - seconds/make full use to premove to save time.

Training games against "weak" engines like surprise/gnuchess - 30 minutes to finish the whole game.

R

Moves
13 Nov 06
1 edit

Originally posted by wormwood
about 5min-2 days in the opening, 15min-1 week otherwise. sometimes more if I feel there is a win in the air. I try to avoid moving within the hour I see the opponent's move. I also try very hard not to move drunk or tired, sometimes failing. most of my blunders happen when I move tired...

I never move in 5 seconds.
I am the same way, except I now use databases for the openings so I generally am able to get through them quickly. I also dally a while on won positions, sometimes because they're just boring to play, and other times because I think my opponent's rating is going to go up.

Making moves in 5 sec in correspondence chess is a recipe for disaster.

A
D_U_N_E

Arrakis

Moves
13 Nov 06

Originally posted by HomerJSimpson
Just trying to get some ideas here
I've posted that I usually spend about 20 seconds on a move except for complicated positions. However, I must admit that I have lost many games because of this. I recommend people to "sit on the position" for awhile and just look at different possibilities. I started doing that and am back up in the 1900's again.

k

Sigulda, Latvia

Moves
13 Nov 06

I usually try to analyze the position as much as I can, so it may take me even an hour for a move, but, due to a tough schedule in school (I'm learning math and physics deeper), often I'm tired and then it takes a minute to make a move. In those cases I usually don't see lots of important things. That's how I always screw up. And the opening takes time for me also. I never use any books during a game. I study openings (rarely) while I'm not at the computer, not looking at a certain position from a game I'm playing. And I use a real board also, if I analyze the position.

FL

over there

Moves
13 Nov 06

I usually try to spend a couple minutes tops on my moves. I want to start slowing down my play.

Bla bla bla

Moves
14 Nov 06

.5 seconds

b

Hainesport, NJ, USA

Moves
14 Nov 06

3 seconds to three days. If it's and automatic recapture, 3 seconds. If it's a complicated, tactical position with lots of pieces on the board, i might set it up on a regular set and take a look. For some reason, setting it up on a real board gives me better ideas than using the analysis board. However, i use the analysis board more often because it's easy to use that lugging out the old chess set and board.