1. Joined
    17 May '05
    Moves
    14 Nov '06 03:351 edit
    I spend the great majority of time not on game moves, but on the Pregame Plan. Before even making the first move, I conduct a thorough research of my opponent's opening habits, playing style, psychological profile, forum posts. This research can take up to three days. I then formulate the opening response and the order of battle. By the time I make my first move, my opponent will normally already have been defeated.
  2. Standard memberArrakis
    D_U_N_E
    Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Nov '06 03:43
    Originally posted by Regicidal
    I spend the great majority of time not on game moves, but on the Pregame Plan. Before making even the first move, I conduct a thorough research of my opponent's opening habits, playing style, psychological profile, forum posts. This research can take up to three days. I then formulate the opening response and order of battle. By the time I make my first move, my opponent will normally already have been defeated.
    WOW! I hope I never have to play you! 😲
  3. Joined
    11 Jul '06
    Moves
    14 Nov '06 08:57
    I spend the great majority of time not on game moves, but on the Pregame Plan. Before even making the first move, I conduct a thorough research of my opponent's opening habits, playing style, psychological profile, forum posts. This research can take up to three days. I then formulate the opening response and the order of battle. By the time I make my first move, my opponent will normally already have been defeated.
    Wow, that sounds like a hell lot of work for a single game. Probably more suitable for tournament games. Perhaps a lot harder to expect to have already defeated your opponent by the first move, if that opponent is a master of all openings, eg. Gary Kasparov.
  4. Joined
    26 Nov '03
    Moves
    14 Nov '06 10:451 edit
    Originally posted by HomerJSimpson
    Just trying to get some ideas here
    far too long! it has taken the fun out of it, as soon as I hit 2000 I am going to change, i.e. stop using dstabases and move quicker in an otb style by selecting my canditate moves then selecting not using the analyse board feature to explore endless possibilities. The way I have been playing almost makes the 2000 rating meaningless as I have beaten or drawn against better opponents who were moving quicker without the amount of work I put in.
  5. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    14 Nov '06 15:18
    It also helps to remember there is a difference between 'obvious' moves and 'forced' moves. Gotta love getting ur opponent with a particularly nasty zwischenzug!
  6. Joined
    13 Apr '06
    Moves
    14 Nov '06 18:281 edit
    Hmm 5 seconds per move in CC? I not would be surprised if they took 1 min to move in blitz as this is an irregular approach to CC. I would not be surprised if those who take 5 secs per move were also below 1500.

Can those who claim to spend 5 seconds per move do the test, I linked o in the nobody left behind thread a,d tell us their scores?
  7. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    14 Nov '06 19:00
    Do you have any time to actually play chess.
  8. Joined
    17 May '05
    Moves
    15 Nov '06 02:24
    Originally posted by Dragon Fire
    Do you have any time to actually play chess.
    Yes, but there are sacrifices. Like postponing the dishes, laundry, losing couple hours of sleep, limiting number of games, etc.

Ok, I was being over the top ha ha, though there is an element of truth to it.
  9. Joined
    11 Jul '06
    Moves
    15 Nov '06 02:25
    I think it depends on the circumstances. In the opening, especially if it's a well-known one, the first few moves could be almost like playing blitz. After that 'one move' might mean thinking for several moves. I don't think it's just thinking for a single move. I normally think ahead by 3-5 moves, but in some cases, one really needs to look much further than that. And so, one might take say 15 minutes to make a single move, but actually he has made 5 moves in his mind. If his mental analysis is correct, then his opponent will make the very move as he saw it, so that he can reply almost immediately. That immediate reply doesn't mean he didn't think for that particular move. It merely means that he has calculated that move earlier, and time has been spent on that.

In one tournament game that I played years ago, I actually saw 7 moves ahead. I never thought that that was possible for me. I am not such a clever person, you see. But actually those moves were all forced. You'd be surprised how 'far' you can see if all the moves are forced.
  10. Donationbriancron
    nunquam perdo
    Washington, DC
    Moves
    15 Nov '06 02:30
    brilliant post...

I (like everyone else did I am sure) said you were full of it... then clicked on your profile and saw your rating and believed you!

I rec'd it

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree