1. Joined
    29 Jul '06
    Moves
    06 Sep '11 17:521 edit
    Just looking for advice, it seems I lose alot because the following

First of all what is a good time limit for a OOTB game? Been playing 10/0

1. Calculating Im fairly slow at calculating and that chews up time as well as careless mistakes when I try to hurry up and when I have a winning position I dont have enough time to get the point

2. I feel weak at openings I dont have the openings memorized and cant get the good positions I do during correspondence.

How do you get good at OOTB chess?
  2. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    06 Sep '11 18:121 edit
    OOTB??

I'm not good at blitz, but the most improvement I've had was by learning openings. contrary to the popular belief, tactics didn't do much for me, and neither did endgames. you definitely don't get the time to calculate much anything, instead you go by your instincts. train your instincts, play a lot.

watching the big boys blitz has also helped a lot. especially how they handle irregular openings, and how practically they handle endings vs. 'correct endgame play'. they'll choose the practical over 'correct' every single time, without hesitation.

and of course play, play, play, that's the most important thing. try to avoid just starting a new one after a loss, go through the game at least cursorily. especially regarding the openings.

try to make a mental note on what got you in the trouble. (taking too much risk, taking too FEW risks, intentionally weakening your king, LPDO, vague strategic things like that. they usually exist before you fall for that fatal tactic.)
  3. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    06 Sep '11 18:20
    oh, and the most important blitz tactic: the clock. easily worth a queen or two.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree