Giuoco Piano

Giuoco Piano

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S

Moves
08 Mar 07
1 edit

Originally posted by rubberjaw30
wow
you fooled me
i feel tricked
man, it's amazing how you caught me on that one...
I play the Evans gambit at every opportunity so I'm familiar with some of the mistakes from black.
It is superior (for me) over the King's Gambit because I can get my own king safe.
It's unproven in the last 150-odd years if the gambit is sound or not - it just gives white great attacking chances as long as you don't mind not having a QS pawn structure!

So I take it you need to rethink that "the Evans Gambit is one big blunder"?

r

Tony, kiss mine!

Moves
08 Mar 07

Originally posted by Squelchbelch
I play the Evans gambit at every opportunity so I'm familiar with some of the mistakes from black.
It is superior (for me) over the King's Gambit because I can get my own king safe.
It's unproven in the last 150-odd years if the gambit is sound or not - it just gives white great attacking chances as long as you don't mind not having a QS pawn structure!

So I take it you need to rethink that "the Evans Gambit is one big blunder"?
i never recant my opinions-- never
i do not think white gets any compensation for the pawn...
with accurate play, black will exchange everything off if possible and win with a superior pawn structure...

M

Moves
08 Mar 07
1 edit

ok, so you gave a line...
does white get any quicker play after this?
7. Nc3 Nxe4
8. d5
rather than castling and giving black the a1 rook for a huge initiative...
or would this just be a blunder hanging a rok for no compensation?
You mean 8.d5 Nxc3 9.bxc3 Bxc3+ 10.Bd2 Bxa1 11.Qxa1, I suppose? I have never seen it in a game. Looks wild but perhaps playable, I am not sure. I am thinking of 11. ... Qe7+ 12.Be2 and black has to choose between 0-0 (pawns + rook for 2 pieces), or retreating the knight with white initiative for a pawn.

o

Moves
08 Mar 07

i never recant my opinions-- never
i do not think white gets any compensation for the pawn...
with accurate play, black will exchange everything off if possible and win with a superior pawn structure...
The moller is much worse than the evans, if black knows what he is doing white can't hope for more than a draw with the moller, however I don't think the same is true for the evans gambit.

r

Tony, kiss mine!

Moves
08 Mar 07

Originally posted by Mephisto2
You mean 8.d5 Nxc3 9.bxc3 Bxc3+ 10.Bd2 Bxa1 11.Qxa1, I suppose? I have never seen it in a game. Looks wild but perhaps playable, I am not sure. I am thinking of 11. ... Qe7+ 12.Be2 and black has to choose between 0-0 (pawns + rook for 2 pieces), or retreating the knight with white initiative for a pawn.
i'm not even sure that white should take back immediuately on a1...
haven't loked into it a lot...
but it seems to me that white should be able to press black to the popint of suffocation if black takes on a1...
i don't know...
hold on, i'll try to find some stuff on it...

M

Moves
08 Mar 07

i'm not even sure that white should take back immediuately on a1...
haven't loked into it a lot...
but it seems to me that white should be able to press black to the popint of suffocation if black takes on a1...
i don't know...
hold on, i'll try to find some stuff on it...
I don't see any pressure if white doesn't take back on a1
. 11.0-0? Bf6 12.dxc6 0-0! and I take black
or
. 11.dxc6? Qe7+ 12.Be2 Bf6 ditto

R
The Rams

Moves
08 Mar 07

Mephisto2, i clicked your name, and noticed you got 44 points when you beat a 1400 player. How is that? Just curious.

M

Moves
08 Mar 07
1 edit

Originally posted by Ramned
Mephisto2, i clicked your name, and noticed you got 44 points when you beat a 1400 player. How is that? Just curious.
What game was that? I thought I had played one rated game (by accident) in the last 2 years and got 1 point for winning that.

edit1: I must have played that good that Russ gave me extra points 🙄

edit2: I recall that somewhere in 2004, Russ had to adjust the rating for tournament games I (and some others) resigned at move 1. Perhaps that is what you are referring to?

R
The Rams

Moves
08 Mar 07
1 edit

Originally posted by Mephisto2
What game was that? I thought I had played one rated game (by accident) in the last 2.5 years and got 1 point for winning that.
Game 526547

On your graph, it shows you got 44 points. It was about 10 games ago. User: rossroe.

M

Moves
08 Mar 07

Originally posted by Ramned
Game 526547

On your graph, it shows you got 44 points. It was about 10 games ago. User: rossroe.
See my previous post (edits). That was what I referred to. Had nothing to do with that particular game. That game deserved no extra ball.